Is your child only taugh what is required?

@sedel1027 (17855)
I am curious. We entered the current school sysemts mid-year last year and with the hurricane and moving 3 times I did not have much time to actually look into the curriculum at my sons school. This year, we went to the begin year meetings and all the teachers talked about covering was Engligh, Math, Reading, and something else I had never heard of but it has to do with spelling words. Only the core subjects that are on the state tesing and PE. Right now I am putting out extra money for my son to take a science class after school (Mad Scientist - great program) and an art class after school. Both of these are school sponsored, but are an extra expense. He goes to the top rated Elementary School in the tri-parish area. The more I think about this, the more it annoys me. I think kids schould have art, science, music and all the basics available to them even in public schools. What do you do if you are a family that has more than one child with these interests and can't afford to put kids in all the after school activites? Does anyone have a similiar situation in the school their child attends? I would love for him to change schools but we cannot afford private schools (the closest one is $5k year) and we don't belong to any organized religion.
@nooreldin (471)
• Kuwait
! - school teacher
school is very important to the child's life, spending most of his time in it.. it should be good enough to give him all what he needs.. we've faced such a prblem in our family, and suffered a lot to find the perfect school, while others were so astonished why we give it such a big deal of importance! we ended up paying most of our income for such an issue!
@sedel1027 (17855)
For the next school year I am going to shop around for schools. I think the education at this school is okay, but it could be better. I don't understand some parents. They really don't value the education their child gets. Last year when we enrolled my son one of the office workers commented on how some of the parents were really bad about getting their kids to school on time or getting them to school at all. She was happy when I told her that my son had various ways to get to school just in case something did happen. I was blown away that there was even such a problem.
@Tanya8 (1734)
Hey, we're doing Mad Science too. I thought it was just a local program. What grade is your son in? I actually don't remember being taught science as a set subject until grade 6. We covered a lot of topics that could be classified as science in the earlier grades, but we never identified them as such.
@sedel1027 (17855)
My son is in first grade. I believe they offer it to the kindergardeners as well. I understood that it was a program all over the US. From what I gathered at the beginning of the school year they only cover what they consider to be core subjects and that is it. I feel like he is missing out on something.
When I went to school we were always taught all those things :-/ I'm sure its a regional difference. However, it sounds like you live in a nice area so Im sure the property taxes that go to the school are middle to high class. Thats a decent amount of money so I do not know why they would not have a well rounded circulum.
@sedel1027 (17855)
Supposedly they don't have "time" to teach everything during the school year and they have problems fitting in the basics. I think they need to extend the school year (they have 4, 9 week sessions). I went to school in Louisiana, but in a different district and I went through all Catholic Schools. We were always taught all of the subjects - regardless of age level.
@Sailor (1161)
Be carefull of schools, many are not even being taught what is required. Her is a true and perfect example. When I graduated H.S. There was this one guy who had perfect attendance, and straight "A's" all in what was suppossed to be hard college prep classes. He even scored good on the SAT. Because of all these factors, he received a full scholarship to the University of Southern California. But when I got out of Navy Basic Training, was going to school at one of the local Jr. Colleges and saw him attending classes. I asked him why was he there. His response was;" Our school's classes were not hard enough for him to be able to keep up in the classes at USC. So he was taking classes there to build him up to speed, and he would return to USC." So in your area, and due to your constant moving, you may want to look into Texas Tech. They have a correspondece program from K-Master's Degree. So you can make sure your lil one will be ready by adding the hard classes from there to the education they r already recieving.
@sedel1027 (17855)
Good idea about the Master's Degree. I will look into that. The public schoosl here have the same issue. Many kids form the public high schools can't make it in the local public universites because the non-mangent schools (the ones that are college prep) don't teach the skill set required. Even some of the public schools are are college prep don't teach what you need to survive in public colleges. My fiance and I go thorugh this all the time. He went thorugh Public School college prep and he can't compose a paper to save his life - and he was in honors classes.
@rms2727 (815)
I don't know how old is your kid, you should send them for those extra classes only if his above seven years or else you would be burdening him to much. rather spend out sometime making him learn while playing with him. as of today there are only a few schools would take that extra effort and definitely they are the costly ones but then you can always take some initiative on your own , spent some time with him and teach him things that are ignored by the school but which you feel are important
@sedel1027 (17855)
He is 7, but these are classes he wants to take. He is also very active in boy scouts. I do worry about over burdening him and was reluctant to put him in three activities. They are not for the entire school year and each activity (minus scouts) only runs for 8 weeks. He knows that even though I paid for the activites, if they become too much he can drop out. Out of a 7 days week, there are onyl 2 days (3 if there is a Scout meeting) where he doesn't get to play with his friends and that doesn't bother him. All of his friends are kids he sees every day at school. Most are in the same activites that he is in.
My son is the first grade and his school covers all of these subjects plus art, history, and science. I like the school district a lot, but his teacher drives me crazy! When he has a hard time grasping something she sends me a note home (which I appreciate) telling what the problem is, but then feels as if she has washed her hands of it and no longer works with him in the problem areas.
@sedel1027 (17855)
Maybe he is getting too much. I don't want my son to be overloaded, but I think he needs a bit more than Reading, Spelling, and Math.
@not4me (1713)
Wow - thanks for bringing this up. I two girls, 6 and 4 and while we only have K and 1st grade under out belts with the older one, I have never heard of paying for electives before. I guess I could understand this happening at a school in a poor district or neighborhood but there should be some type of state funding, one would think! My girls have been in DOD schools because my husband is in the military. Those schools have been very thorough, attentive and all-inclusive. They have computer lab, music, art, etc for no charge. We just bought a house here in SC off-base so my daughter will have to start at a public school for the first time - I'll be sure to keep my eye out for what you mentioned. I'm interested now. The only thing I hate about the SC public school system so far is that my 4 year-old can't start kindergarten next year because her birthday (sept. 3) is three days after the cutoff. That means she will be 6 when she starts k and 19 when she graduates??!! Oh hell no lol. We will pimp ourselves out if we have to, to get her into a montessori school or something so she can stay on track, as we will only be here for 2 years max. Oh and they don't do age waivers either!
@sedel1027 (17855)
You are lucky to get a good DOD school. When my ex wasin the Army at Ft Braag I heard nightmare stories about the schools there. People would live off base to get their kids in public school or find money to sne dtheir kids to private schools. I lived there about 4 years ago so maybe things have improved. What you can do to find out what is being taught is to go to the School Board Districts wbesite and look up the curriculum for the school she would be attending. At least you will know what is a head of you. As far as paying for the extra courses, it has nothing to do with the school being poor. They don't have time to teach the courses so you have to take them after school which mean you have to pay extra for them. The scien class my son is doing is an outside group of teachers that comes in and teaches science. The program is just sponsored by the school. The art class is taught by one of the staff, but on her own time. Same goes for music, dance and photography.