Cats and Christmas trees

We have 2 young cats and was wondering if there were anyways that people used to stop the cats from climbing the tree. They climd everything and we are worried they are going to knock the tree over.
@brendalee (6083)
I have cats so I know how you feel. Mine seem to like the decorations better than climbing it. I have no idea how to stop them but I have a suggestion to keep the tree from falling over. This works really good if your tree is in the corner. Tie fishing line around the tree and then secure it somehow to the wall. It may not hold it tight but it helps. Good luck.
well so far the cats have not knocked over the christmas tree, they play more with the ornaments and the presents. Thanks for your reply
@teenal (970)
Ive never tried it but I believe there is a spray you can get in hardware shops called cinnamon spray. It smells nice if you like cinnamon but apparently cats hate it so if you spray it on the tree they wont go near it as it makes them sneeze.
@Jshean20 (14373)
Cats will be cats lol. It seems that my cats went crazy over climbing our real trees but when we bought an artificial one they seemed to slow it down a bit (they still knock down the ornaments and stuff but they don't really try to climb the thing anymore lol).
I can only suggest that you spray them with water and say no, when they attempt to climb it. If that doesn't work, you may have to get a fake one, as we did. Good luck.
Thank you for the rating.