is it in good taste if you let people know what you'd like to receive as a gift?

and if they ask, is it okay to tell them?
I dont see why not. I mean surely theyd want to get you something you really want or need. and if they ask of course its okay because why else would they ask
correct! we're having a wishlist this year, or at least, our family is having one so there'll be no wasted gifts. it will still be fun, i bet!
@mtdewgurl74 (18118)
I do because I do this myself, after years of getting gifts that I didn't like,couldn't use, or not knowing what they were on when they picked it out because of stuff so not me or what I like or need I took it into my own hands and tell people what I need or would like to have it saves people alot of time and trouble and takes the guess work out of it for them and I have things I actually like and can use not things that they wasted their hard earned money on that gets throwed in a closet and never used. So make out a list and give it to friends and family that are buying you something doesn't have to be big expensive things but if they are something you like that does cost suggest them going together and buying it. And you in turn can ask them what they want and don't let them get away with the words "oh' anything, it doesn't matter" Because I make them make list to becuase that way I know what I get them isn't throwed into a closet.. Because I find just because you love something and and think everyone else does it doesn't work that way.
you're soooo right! i only wish people are this practical! thanks for the advice.
@Aeval39 (774)
Eugh that annoys me SO MUCH! But I'm starting to get used to it because my boyfriend always asks me what I want for my birthday or for christmas/new years. He knows that I prefer not to know, but he feels like he doesn't want to get me something that I don't want. He'd rather get me something that he knows I'll like. We've learned to compromise though - this year he made me write up a list of the things I wouldn't mind getting, and he's not telling me what he got me, or even if it's from my list. This way we're both happy. He mentioned that now he can get ms something that I want, and something that he comes up with. I'm curious!! I'm glad we worked that out though. I personally always like to surprise people. His birthday is January 1st though, so I have to think of two presents at a time, and I'm just not that creative lol. So I got him something nice for Christmas, and now I'm trying to get him to tell me what to get him for his birthday. We'ree even. D
ohhh.... i'm also a person who loves surprises. and i also like to surprise people more. that's why in ouir family, i'm the one who plans for the get-together. no wonder, it's what i do now for a living. he, he. merry christmas!
• Austria
yes. i think theres nothing wrong about letting friends know that you want a christmas gift as long as you dont demand for a certain product or a certain price. Its awful when you demand for expensive items i suppose :-)
it is awful! if you insist on demanding for something you want even if it's way below the person's buying capacity, chances are, nobody will ask you anymore for what you'd like to have. what's worst, nobody might give you anything at all!
@gabs8513 (48714)
Yes it is at least they know they are buying you something you need so that is good My Children always ask me what I would like lol and I tell them if I can think of something My Daughter asked me last week and I didn't know what I wanted for Christmas but I do now
we're slowly starting the practice of asking and telling. being filipinos, we have this attitude of not making known our desires for fear of offending others. but, at least, that's changing little by little now.
@raj0019 (2627)
• Argentina
It depends on how close relation you have with that person and age factor can be considered too
yap, just what i'm thinking, too! thanks for sharing!
@amy0214 (1513)
if they ask there is nothing wrong with it
you think so? thanks for sharing!
yehh it is bcz then they know what kind of stuff yur into and what kind of stuff datt yu like .....and also its good to ask bcz yu nevah knoe if they dont ask what yu want or what yu like then they could buy yu stuff that yu hate or sommething datt yu alreadyy have!!!! ....... so pplz yu should ask sommeone what they want 4 Christmas before yu juss go out and but it for them!!!
you've got the right idea there. thanks for sharing!
@dmzamora (112)
at some points it is.. I think. but in other cases it's not.. you have to weigh it really.
we'll be practicing on our relatives, for starters. if the response is favorable, then, thi might be a universal thing for us from now on.
rather than receiving something that you dont like or will never use, why not just tell them directly what you want? (as long as it's within their budget) i will definitely tell if they ask, if they dont ask,....i will give them hints. LOL
ha, ha. that's good enough. at least you won't leave them guessing!
@brendalee (6083)
We have to do this in my family because sometimes its hard to figure out what everyone needs or wants. Not all of us do it though. I think it is ok. I told my daughter-in-law to make me a list. Others, I know just what to get.
right! maybe, our whole family can agree to make our individual lists so we won't have a hard time looking for gifts they'd like. thanks for the idea.