Looking for recipe for Poppy Seed roll

@Cortney (3986)
It is an old one but really good.. I think I still have it in boxes that I took to my moms and that is over an hour away. This one I am looking for is very old, from up north and you have to use the yeast stuff to make the dough, let the dough rise (and it is kinds sweet) put the poppy seed paste on, roll it, let it rise again, and then bake. I know the steps by heart.. i just need the recipe for the messurements ~~ I am in FL and I can't fake the recipe like i can up in colder weather. It won't rise right.. so I need the messurements of the ingredients.
@Darkwing (21591)
Is this any help? POPPY SEED ROLL Extra-Rich Sweet Yeast Dough: 2 1/4-ounce packages (4-1/2 teaspoons) active dry yeast, or 2 .6-ounce cakes fresh yeast 1/2 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F for dry yeast; 80°F to 85°F for fresh yeast), or 1/4 cup warm water and 1/4 cup warm milk, or 1/2 cup water mixed with 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk 1/2 cup sugar 1 cup unsalted butter or margarine, softened 4 large eggs 1-1/2 teaspoon salt About 4-1/4 cups flour Egg Wash: 1 large egg yolk, beaten slightly 1 teaspoon water Filling: 3 cups (about 1 pound) poppy seeds (ground) 1-1/2 cups water 1-1/2 cup sugar or honey; or 1 cup honey and 1/3 cup light corn syrup 2-1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon juice pinch of salt Make Yeast Dough: Dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup of warm water (105°F to 110°F). Stir in one teaspoon sugar and let stand until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes. Add the remaining water, sugar, butter (or margarine), eggs, and salt. Blend in 1-1/2 cups flour. Add enough of the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to make a workable dough. On a lightly floured surface or in a mixer with a dough hook, knead the dough, adding more flour as needed to prevent sticking, until smooth and springy, about 5 minutes. Place in an oiled bowl, turning to coat. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until nearly double in bulk, 1-1/2 to 2 hours, or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. (To test if the dough is sufficiently risen, press two fingers 1" deep into the center; if the indentation remain, the dough is ready) Also, you can refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days. Punch down the dough. Fold over and press together several times (this redistributes the yeast and its food). Let stand for 10 minutes. Make Filling and Assembly: Grind the poppyseeds or have them ground at the grocery store. Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens, about 12 minutes. It should be thick and may take longer. Let cool. Store in the refrigerator for up to one week. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line several large baking sheets with parchment paper or grease them. Divide the dough in half or thirds. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each piece into a very thin rectangle. (The thinner the dough, the thinner the cake layers.) Roll out each piece into a rectangle about 1/8" thick. Half will be about 15"x8" (thirds 10"x8"). Spread with the filling, leaving a 1/2" border along the edges. Starting from a long edge, roll up jelly roll style. Place on the prepared sheet. Baking without letting the cake rise produces thin alternating layers of pastry and filling. For slightly thicker cake layers, cover and let rise for about 40 minutes. Brush with egg wash. Bake until lightly browned, about 35 minutes. Place the baking sheet on a wire rack to cool.
@Cortney (3986)
I will try this one.. it is very, very close to the one I love.. the one i can't find has sour cream in it. thank you so much for posting this one.
thanks for the recipe now we all can make us some
@kids91911 (4366)
I wish I had a recipe for you. I did look in all my book but can not find a one.
@Cortney (3986)
that is ok.. i think that the 2 that are posted are very close to the one I love... i am going to try them this weekend
@razcal2267 (15577)
I do not know if this is the one you are looking for but this is the one I use: 1/2 cup buttermilk 1/2 cup sugar 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 cup shortening or butter 2 (1/2 ounce) packages dry yeast 1/2 cup warm water (body temp) 2 eggs, beaten 5 cups all-purpose flour 25 ounces canned poppy seed filling, if you are like my dh of solo filling (2 cans (or more) Scald milk and stir in sugar, salt and shortening or butter. Cool to lukewarm. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir until dissolved, then stir into the lukewarm milk mixture. Add beaten eggs and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth and stir in an additional 2 cups flour. Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl and brush top with vegtable oil. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from draft, until double in bulk (about 1 hour). Punch down and turn out onto lightly floured board. Cut into 2 rounds or 4 to make smaller loafs. Roll out one dough into a rectangle about 12x9. Spread 1 can of filling within 1 inch of sides. Roll up long side into a roll. Pinch seams tight so no filling escapes. You can use egg slightly beaten to seal. I always have poppy seed escape. A Hint if you want it to keep the shape of the roll place it in parchment paper securing the seams of the parchment and make sure the seam of the dough is down. I prefer to bake in loaf pans as you see in the pictures I posted here. Place on pan and let rise 1 hour until doubled. Bake in a preheated oven at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Until nicely browned. Remove parchment if using and let cool. You can top with a powdered sugar glaze or slice and spread some sweet butter on it.
@Cortney (3986)
This one sounds like it may be it. I am going to ask my mom if she remembers if she used to sub the sour cream for the butter milk. that is the only thing that is different. thank you very much
@Lydia1901 (16354)
Thanks for sharing the recipe.
@Cortney (3986)
I am glad that they did.. i love poppy seed roll