Why do dogs die???

@amiksinha (1961)
India
September 17, 2006 2:17am CST
when they eat chocolate?
15 responses
@gsen2006 (870)
• India
8 Jan 07
my dog sometimes eat chocolates . till now he is alive.
• United States
28 Mar 07
one of my dog's doctor in my home country told me that chocolate and egg yolk can caused blindness to dog.
• United States
27 Mar 07
Here is a website that lists foods that are toxic to dogs and cats and tells what happens http://www.wisegeek.com/which-foods-are-toxic-to-cats-and-dogs.htm
• China
27 Mar 07
Oh, I have never heard about it. I love my dog very much. My son loves it too. He feeds the dog with almost everything he eats.tank you for telling me about this. I will tell my son never to feed the dog with chocolate.
• United States
27 Mar 07
if you feed your dogs with chilis, they will die
@nitindx (283)
• India
25 Mar 07
i think some dog's r not able to digest chocolte
• United States
24 Mar 07
Onetime my dog stole my nestle chocolate from the table. When I found out the paperwrap on the floor, I was panic and afraid he was gonna die. I love my dog so much, he is such a sweetheart. The next time, he just got diarhea and was fine eversince.
• India
9 Feb 07
I really did not know that Chocolates are poisonous for dogs. By reading the posts over now I have a understanding and from now on I will never ever feed a dog with chocolates. Thanks everyone.
• India
31 Jan 07
May be when they are suffering from a disease.
@stailgate (2363)
• United States
15 Jan 07
I think that dogs eating chocolate and dying is a myth. I had a dog that was ten years old and ate chocolate almost every day of his life. And no he did not die from that his spleen built up pressure and burst and it put liquid in his brain. totally not related. I have three dogs now, and they get chocolate too and the vet says that I have some of the healthiest dogs that pass threw his clinic.
@Sandy85 (473)
• India
25 Sep 06
Never heard of it before, but stunning fact it is.
@Deja88 (113)
• United States
24 Sep 06
This isn't good. I feed my dog chocolate all the time. :( I quit.
@chalmette69 (3010)
• United States
24 Sep 06
I don't know, I think you have given us something to find out more about, thanks.
@kotska_03 (114)
• United States
17 Sep 06
i heard it's because of the chemicals present in chocolates that makes dogs feel dizzy or worse, die.
@nextgen (1888)
• India
17 Sep 06
Chocolate has a chemical in it that is toxic to dogs. Chocolate contains theobromine. A naturally occurring stimulant found in the cocoa bean, theobromine increases urination and affects the central nervous system as well as heart muscle. While amounts vary by type of chocolate, it's the theobromine that is poisonous to dogs. * White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog. * Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level. * Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog. * Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two one-ounce squares of bakers' chocolate is toxic to a 20-pound dog; one ounce for a 10-pound dog.