Publishing

One of my dreams in life is to have a book published. This has been a long road of rejections for my manuscripts. Anyone have success in publishing?
@misskatonic (3727)
I don't write novels, but I write short stories and no fiction articles. I've had a couple of pieces published, but it's a hard business. Unless you have connections and a lot of publishing credits, getting editors to look at your work is next to impossible. With so many people trying to get published, slush piles are higher and higher. The best way to do it is to network with other authors, get published authors to look at your work and put in a good word for you with publishers and editors. Good luck!
Slush piles...sigh, I hate those. I never thought about getting published authors to look at my work. That is a really good route actually. We had a large group of writers come do book signings here last year and I went but wasn't sure what to do. I should have been slipping my manuscripts into their bags. lol
Look for Writers Weekends in your area. Those are basically weekend conventions for writers and aspiring writers. A group of writers get together and attend panels, group discussions, meet'n'greets, workshops, etc. It's a great way to make connections and get writers to look at your work. :D
@srhelmer (6930)
• Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
I haven't had time to sit down and write that manuscript yet. One thing I do know. If you don't have an agent, you'll never get anyone to publish it. Unless you go to a vanity press and pay for the publishing yourself.
You can get published without an agent. It's tough, but possible. If you have publishing credits from magazines or anthologies - which are easier to be published in than to publish a manuscript - you can get editors to look at your outlines. And if you can network with already published authors, you can get your stuff published with recommendations.