chocolates-dogs

@finthun (115)
India
December 9, 2006 4:47am CST
Is it true that chocolates kill dogs?
1 person likes this
2 responses
@Jshean20 (14367)
• Canada
9 Dec 06
I've heard this too but it depends on the type of chocolate, the weight of the dog and how much he/she eats. Here's some information that I've found: It takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration. On average, Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz. Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz. Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz. Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as: 1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate 1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate 1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate. So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.
1 person likes this
@finthun (115)
• India
9 Dec 06
vow! thats great information, thanks for that. so then, probably its not too risky with little chocolate feedings. Thanks again...
1 person likes this
@anne_143god (5390)
• Philippines
9 Dec 06
I have not heard that it will kill the dog and this is the first time I've heard. Where did you get that information??
@finthun (115)
• India
9 Dec 06
Came up as part of discussion with my friend, though both of us dont have any concrete information on this!
1 person likes this