Recipe for Rock Candy

Ever make homemade rock candy? Well here is your opportunity. I have friends in Holland who love this stuff and will be making a batch especially with them in mind. Enjoy! : ) Ingredients: 1 1/2 C. water 6 C. sugar 3 pieces of string 6 inches long food coloring candy flavoring Instructions: Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan. Remove from heat and add 3 cups of sugar, stirring until dissolved. Slowly add the remaining sugar, reheating the water if necessary. When all the sugar has dissolved, pour the mixture into 3 heat proof jars or glasses. Stir 3 drops of liquid food color and 1/2 t. of flavoring into each jars. Tie a piece of string around a pencil. Lay the pencil over the rim of the jar so that the string is dangling in the glass, into the liquid. Crystals will begin to form in a hour and continue for several days. If a layer forms on the surface of the jar, break it. When the liquid has evaporated completely the candy is ready.
I have never made rock candy. I have not even had it in ages. Thanks for the receipe.
Thank you for the rating and great receipes.
Hope they turn out as well for you as they did for me. I am going to try this one today!
It did. Thanks. And, thanks for the rating too. God bless you.
@Lydia1901 (16354)
Thanks for the recipe. Boy, you must love to make candies.
I have always loved making food for others. I know that when I give candy or cookies as a gift, they never go to waste.
@kids91911 (4366)
I have a recipe for this but this one sounds better and shorter.
@mari61960 (4895)
Thanks for the reminder. When I was young a neighbor gave me the recipe. I made it for my mother and suprised her on her birthday. She didn't believe I made it because I had kept it a secret for her birthday. So I started making it every now and then. It was my mothers favorite candy when she was little.
@craftwave (1339)
I've made rock candy before when my girls were ittle. I wonder if this will work with splenda since it is made from sugar cane? I'll have to try and see what happens.
@samsonskola (3357)
I haven't had rock candy in years! Now I'm gonna have to make some soon! thank you so much for this easy recipe!