Went in to spay the rabbit, already spayed! Ever had that happen?

@Pigglies (9340)
Have you ever found a pet on the streets or somehow got a pet of unknown history, and they were already altered? That is so weird! I caught a rabbit that was set free when the owners moved. And today I took her to be spayed. Not scar felt, and when shaved, nothing. When opened up, no uterus or ovaries! She had already been spayed. In a way, that makes me feel a bit hopeful for humanity that people are spaying their rabbits now. But I think it would have been less rare if this was a cat or a dog. Weird huh?
@Signal20 (2282)
I don't think it's that weird. That happened to my dog years ago. Took her in, nothing there. Usually they tattoo them to show they've been spayed. Yeah, you're right though, that is good they took the time to spay their bun, but the flip side, kinda sad they let their pet rabbit "go free" because they moved. The irony of it huh? lol.
@Pigglies (9340)
I wouldn't have thought it was too weird with a dog, because spay and neuter is more prevalent. But for rabbits, unfortunately a lot of people still do not take their rabbits in. A lot of shelters out here do the tattoo thing, but not all. Usually there is some kind of scar, but not always. I thought it was pretty odd too. Spaying a rabbit is more expensive than spaying a dog generally, so I bet they got something low cost like I did. On the bad note though, my rabbit is still not eating tonight and so I'll have to force feed her any minute now to make sure to keep her GI tract moving. Force feeding rabbits is awful, they are so stubborn. Poor bunny, surgery for nothing!
@Signal20 (2282)
I'm a new bunny owner, only had him about 6 months or so now. I didn't realize it was a big problem with rabbits. From what I read, don't they get more aggressive if they're not fixed? Maybe it's just my thinking, I always get my pets spayed/neutered, just to avoid all kinds of problems. I was lucky, mine ended up being a male, so it only cost me 110. to get him neutered, so expensive!! Good luck with your bun, and good luck feeding her!!
@Pigglies (9340)
With males it prevents spraying (unneutered male rabbit urine smells bad!), aggressive behavior, and their is a low incidence of testicular cancer, so they won't get that. With females, spaying is even more essential because rabbits have an extremely high incidence of uterine cancer. Most spays around here cost $160. The vet school does them for $30 though, so Floppy got spayed there. Last night after I got only 5 ccs at most of critical care into her (very watered down too), she ate some hay to get the taste out of her mouth. And this morning I see her drinking water. So that's a good sign. :)