Should counsellors get paid?

@Mickie30 (2633)
Do you think counsellors should work for free or should they get paid?
@emeraldisle (13145)
I think they should be paid. I don't think they should have to work for free. I can see doing some pro bono work but to expect them not to be paid at all is a bit rough. We all need money, sadly, and they would need money to pay bills, buy things for themselves and family. Now I wouldn't have a problem with the government paying them instead of me. That way if I don't have money I can see them.
@Mickie30 (2633)
Thats the problem though the government are not paying for counsellors which is why doctors surgeries don't have counsellors because the government will not pay. I'm starting to wonder if I am going into the right job, but its the only job for me and I love it I just wish it were easier to find paid work.
@missinghim (1339)
why in the world should they be expected to work for free? it's already has to be a stressful job since you they sit around and listen to other peoples gripes, complaints and problems all day long. then to add that they are broke and can't provide for their families would be enough for them to be ready to jump off of a bridge.... were you serious?
@Mickie30 (2633)
Hi yes I am serious more and more counsellors are having to work for no pay because the government is clamping down and there is not enough paid work. The fact that some people are prepared to do this is meaning less opportunities for counsellors. Its very difficult to get paid work as a counsellor here in the UK.