The Tooth Fairy

@emeraldisle (13158)
I help raise my niece and she's too old now for the tooth fairy but I'm curious as to what the going price is now a days. When I was a child I got a quarter. With my niece she got a $1 but I have heard of some kids getting $5 or $10 per tooth. Do you practice the tooth fairy and if so how much do you give per tooth.
@Stephanie5 (2953)
Hello Emeraldisle! I got a dollar when I was young. I give my kids $3 a tooth. You know it seems like my kids all those a tooth at the same time. Isn't that weird? They have everytime. Quite a few times on the same day. Huh, never thought about that till now...Wonder if they are pulling them out? lol...Good Post!
@emeraldisle (13158)
Hi nice to see you. I want to be your kids. Three bucks a tooth is a nice gift. More then likely they did. I know I would help mine along with apples or something else they could get stuck in and pull out.
@ronita34 (3923)
Well it all depends if they lose their teeth when the tooth fairy is rich or not ... LOL! I try to leave between $3 to $5 and i think that this is fair enough ... LOL!!!
@emeraldisle (13158)
Yeah true the toothe fairy does need to arrive after pay day. I hated when she had to come the day before. Five bucks for a toothe? I wish you'd been my toothe fairy.
@lifeiseasy (2292)
Man has inflation gotten to the Toothfairy or what ...yikes..I got a dime whenI was a kid and for my kids I gave them a quarter ...now I feel like I cheated my kids ... :( I still ain't going to give them $10 for a tooth though ... LOL
@emeraldisle (13158)
Inflation does come to everything I suppose and with it the toothe fairy. I wouldn't be giving them ten bucks either. That's just way too much.
@wmg2006 (5386)
With my son I gave him a different amount with each tooth. He was younger with his first few teeth so he got a quarter. When he was a little older he got a dollar. I only gave him five dollars for one tooth. He got the $5.00 because it was such a hard tooth and really gave him fits. He was very brave to let me pull the tooth for him. I thought he was goingto have a stroke from fear before I got that tooth out. It was barely hanging on, but would not break loose on one side. Since he was a trooper and had such a hard time I gave him the $5.00. It made it all worth while and he never had a fit about losing his teeth again. I wouldn't either if there was going to be $5.00 reward. LOL
@emeraldisle (13158)
I can understand with that last one giving him extra. He kind of earned it with that one. I feel for him with that. That had to be rough. Thankfully with my neice I never had to pull one. She managed to get them all loose.
Oh my gosh, $10. a tooth? That is way too much. I was thinking a dollor or two.
@emeraldisle (13158)
I agree. I think ten is way too much. One or two dollars I could understand. Considering what I got as a kid and how prices have changed one to two makes sense but more then that I think is way out of the price range for it.
I gave anywhere from a $1 to $5 -- depending on what I had in my wallet! lol Also, if I knew ahead of time a tooth was falling out I'd include a new toothbrush - one time I found a picture of little fairy and make a note from the fairy and left that as well -- my boys really did believe that the picture and note were real ~ it was so cute!
My daughter is 6 and has not lost any of her teeth yet, but I imagine it will happen soon (she can't wait). I am planning to give $1 per tooth. I don't think it's necessary to give a large amount of money and luckily the tooth fairy is a short lived thing, most kids outgrow it pretty quickly.
@lullabell (436)
yep i'm good for a buck two tops. I am cheap. Not only that but i like to keep the greed factor to a minimum in my house. I do dispurse it in all coins so that way it seems like more to them though.
@villageanne (8579)
Wow The tooth fairy has changed since my kids were little. LOL We used to give them a quarter and that was big bucks to them. I guess inflation has hit closer to home now. LOL I am glad, my kids are raised now. I bet my granddaughter will call when her first tooth comes out and I will be forced to send her money too. LOL
@emeraldisle (13158)
I remember getting a quarter and that was a lot of money then. I could go to the one store and get a bunch of penny candy with it. Now though a quarter is nothing to kids. We gave a dollar to my neice but I've seen some give a lot more then that. I gues inflation had to hit the tooth fariy eventually as well.
@rainbow (6763)
I used to get 5p in the 70's. My comic was 7p so I had to do some chores to have enough. My kids get £2, which is about enough for a comic. If I gave them any less it would get used for sweets whic would be bad for their teeth.
@emeraldisle (13158)
That makes sense. If you know they like to buy something in particular that isn't that much then giving money to equal seems like a good idea.
@MySpot (2602)
Cool topic. I'm not into passing along those fairy tale stories, myself. I remember too well the disappointment in finding out that I'd been lied to all of those years and my dreams were crushed so we don't do Santa or Easter Bunny either ; ) I know, Bah Humbug, right? Not at all. They are enlightened by the Holiday Spirit of giving, sharing quality time with family, Christmas carols, Family feasts, decking the halls and a number of festivities! My mom actually started my oldest in believing the tales and she was way too bright! She was only 3 when she asked why I had Santa's wrapping paper in the attic and she also found the little treasure box I kept her teeth in, at 7 and accused me of stealing them from the Tooth Fairy! Now, I offer my kids to sell me their teeth instead. I offer more for the big ones (two front teeth)... going for $5! They get $1 for any of the rest. They can opt to not sell and have them as a keepsake but so far they haven't wanted to : )
@VKXY62 (1606)
Hi, it is no surprise that inflation has hit the tooth fairy as well. You know it costs a lot to get around these days. I would think back to when you got a quarter, I got 20 cents, we don't have quarters in Australia. But, with that 20 cents, I could buy a comic book and some lollies, I remember my Grandmother saying 'Fifteens cents for a comic book, that's daylight robbery!' I looked at the price of comic books recently in the newsagent and nearly fell over $5.95. ?? Daylight robbery, I thought. So, I think if you just allow for inflation and give them the same buying power that you yourself received, there will be a happy child, and you won't feel guilty, because, that's what you got. My 2 bob's worth.
i have 8 nephews (lot of teeth!)the going price seems to be $1. $10 per tooth!the lucky kids..i think i recieved .10 for each :)