When you say grace at meals, do you use a memorized prayer?

Or do you speak out as if talking to God directly?
I have to admit that quite a lot of the time I do not say grace. When the family are together, I always ask my granddaughter if she would like to say grace as she learned a very nice one at school. My son who likes teasing and making the children laugh usually adds the following: Father, Son and Holy Ghost, Whoever's quickest gets the most.
lol... I don't think you're damned to hell for missing grace! We miss saying it too. Nobody's perfect!
prayer - prayer
yup,I do memorized it,sometimes we pray directly to God.
May I ask what faith you are? Just curious.
I have never in my life said grace at a meal and would have no idea how to do it. Is this strictly a cathloic thing or is it cathloic and christian???
I know it is a Christian thing but I'm not sure if the Jewish do it also, I believe so. It's a way of thanking our maker for giving us the opportunity to have food.
@kbkbooks (7030)
Albrecht Durer's Praying Hands - To see the story of this extraordinary picture, go to:  
http://www.trosch.org/ant/hands.htm
When we were growing up we always said the same prayer at dinner. I have moved away from that and now I say a prayer that is composed as I go along and yes it's more conversational. I don't believe there is anything wrong with memorized prayer if you know what the real meaning of your words is. But many people recite by rote practice and the words lose their meaning. I like talking to God in a conversational way, not just at meals, but anytime. He is my Friend and I feel I can go to Him anytime about anything.
I agree... all prayer is good, and listened to by our Lord.
@MakDomMom (1474)
We use a memorized prayer since my daughter (age 4) is the one that leads us in prayer. If there is somethin going on in our lives that we want to add, my husband or I will follow-up her prayer with we need to talk to God about. What do you do in your home?
When my kids were small we did the same. They were so proud they memorized God is Good, God is Great.
@Idlewild (6105)
My brother in law says grace and always "freestyles"the prayer, to use modern day lingo! It sometimes goes on a little long and is often creative (he's an actor, director, and performer, so he always likes a "stage" to perform on!)
@kgwat70 (13396)
I do not use a memorized prayer nor does my family. We just create our own prayer and say what is on our mind or are wishing for. I think it has more meaning to come up with your own grace or prayer but sometimes it can be difficult.
@Brooke3 (614)
I don't say grace at meals.