Do You Follow a Monthly Budget?

@mkirby624 (1599)
I just want to see how many people follow a monthly budget and what they go by to create the budget. My husband and I read books by Dave Ramsey to kind of learn the ins and outs of budgeting, since we are newlyweds and living off of one income. We budget every month for every little thing, though sometimes I really wonder where the money goes. Even when we budget for things, the money sometimes seems to vanish before it's time to purchase something we had planned to get. I think Christmas has really kicked us in the tale, since I just started getting a salary in August and we didn't have a lot of time to save. Do you guys budget? Do you stick to them word for word or stretch it and change it a bit?
@medooley (1874)
We have a budget but we never seem to stick to it, and the thing that always kills us is eating out. Every month we go over our limit for eating out. Do you have any money tracking software like quicken or the sort? That is really helpful for telling hyou where your money went, but as for how to stop it, I think you just need will power. If you find any could you get me some?
@mkirby624 (1599)
well one thing that killed us is Christmas presents, so starting in February, we're opening a Christmas club account at our bank to start saving for Christmas
@medooley (1874)
Those are very good to have. My wife and I have been doing something like that for the last three years, and thanks to that we havent had to put any christmas stuff on credit cards... it is a very nice thing... Enjoy it next year...
We run into the same boat. We try to do a monthly budget on the 25th of the previous month. We always seem to spend more or add things as we go. It is tough to maintain those things we budgetted for. I guess my advice is set aside a little bit and label misc. for those added things durnig the month
@mkirby624 (1599)
I'm glad we're not the only ones who see our money fly away before we even get to enjoy it. I've been working full time since August (I just graduated), and I haven't gotten to spend more than $200 of ALLLL of that money (over $10,000) on myself! I get so aggravated because I feel like I'm working my butt off, and I never get any reward for it. I know we live in a nice place, but sometimes, you just want to go buy a pair of new shoes and not worry about the budget!!
Yea I hear you, sometime it would be nice not to stand in an aisle and try to figure how to adjust my budget for those shoes