My Son

My son is basically a good kid, he isn't smoking or drinking, he works hard, however he has one bad habit. He thinks our home is his private closet. He leaves his jacket on the back of a chair, his shoes in the middle of the floor, the mail anywhere. Sometimes we talk about it, he'll try to change but it doesn't last for long! What can I do, it is driving me crazy!!!
@sunshinecup (7882)
Count your blessings! It sounds like you have a wonderful son there. If that is the worse he will ever do, be grateful. Remember non of us are perfect, we all have our flaws. If that's his only one, it doesn't sound bad. Just keep reminding him to pick his stuff up or create a box in an out of the way place and put all his stuff he leaves in there. Then once a week move the box to a diffrent location. After a while he will get tired of having to find it.
Hey, I like that 'box' idea, I am going to try that. Thanks a lot...SunShineCup!! SS
I works for my Husband, LOL. Let me know how it goes.
Not much you can do, but leave it there, and keep asking him and reminding him to not do that. It's a habit. Soon his wife, when he is older, will have to contend with it. :)
I sure hope he grows out of this messy stage before he marries, but until then I will keep plugging away...thanks for the comment...SS
@ossie16d (11834)
It sounds like you have a normal son/child here, although I don't know his age of course but if he is working then he is probably older rather than a child. This will make it a little bit harder but he can still be "trained", but I do have to admit that I started with our son when he was very young. Aged 5 he started school and every day after school had to change out of his uniform and put it in the washing machine. Aged 12, he was responsible for washing and ironing his own school uniform. He was also responsible for looking after his own room and I didn't clean it very often - maybe once a year. Other than that if he wanted to live in a mess, that was his choice. However if he did leave his things lying around the house, I would just confiscate them and he had to ask for them, generally after he had turned his room upside down looking for whatever he was missing. LOL Today he is aged 31 and is a very capable young man, who can cook, clean and do his own laundry. Sure these days I do his washing, as well as anything else I feel like doing, if we are at his place but I know that if we aren't there then he can look after himself. I think you should look closely at a couple of the suggestions made by previous respondents because they have the right idea, and it is something similar to what I did with our son from when he was in his teens. Good luck and although you will need to persevere, I am sure it will turn out okay. Also some lovely lady will one day thank you for training him not to leave his things all over the place. :)
I think this is his biggest and worst flaw. He handles every other aspect of his life well, except this, I guess I really should be counting my blessings, but the idea of using a box is really gaining ground, as a possible solution...Thanks for your post..SS
@Khokhonut (702)
I don't know how old your son is but there is a couple things you could try (he sounds like a great kid by the way !) You could get a nice basket (large from the sounds of it) and at least have his things contained in one spot. Or if you'd like something more than that done, how about collect his things in a big bag and have him buy them back at whatever price you decide? I did this with a nephew that lived with us for awhile. He was 19. His things were everywhere ! I only charged him $5 per bag to buy them back, but it still killed him.
Yet another great idea! Thanks SS
@lucterius (213)
• Belgium
As a kid, i can tell you that you can relax, i do things that are way worse.Just dont clean it for him, let it be and he will soon realise it that he needs to do it himself.
To be perfectly honest, I been their done that and it doesn't work. But thanks for your comment, though. Lucterius, is that Latin, if so what does it mean? Thanks-SS