spanking your childred

@TerryZ (22083)
How do you feel about spanking your children? I am all for it. I think the children today dont get spanked enough, because the parents are afraid their childred will report them. You do something wrong you get a spank on your butt. It did not heart me. Made me think about doing it again. I know alot of you will not agree, but that is ok. We all have different opinions. If we didnt it would be a pretty boring world we live in.
@tanaclark (570)
I spank my child but not very often. I only use it as a last resort. Most of the time time-outs work just fine. I have tried grounding my children but that just dont make a whole lot of sense to me. I give them a punishment of no tv or no game systems or something like that.
@TerryZ (22083)
good for you. thankyou have a great holiday.
@tentwo67 (3384)
I am of two minds on this, but generally in favor of spanking when it's needed. I think it can give the wrong message to a child, especially if a child is spanked for hitting someone, but I also believe it gets a child's attention better than just about anything, and that's what it's really about to me. I actually find with my child that I don't have to actually spank as much as suggest to him that his behavior will earn a spanking if he doesn't improve. I don't believe in just threatening, though, and if the misbehavior is bad enough I will go straight to a swat on the butt instead of conversing about it, particularly if it's something we've discussed before.
@TerryZ (22083)
Sometimes I think you are reading my mind. Are you?
We have spanked our children but have found that spanking our children only shows them that it is alright to hit and be voilent. We have very discplined children and we use the time out method with our youngest. We are also starting to take things away from her as well. With our oldest we take things that he likes away from him.
@TerryZ (22083)
to each is one. good luck with them
I guess I'll put in a different opinion. I would never spank my child. There are better ways of diciplining children besides using illegal corporal punishment. Besides the fact that I was spanked a lot as a child and it never helped me.
I do spank my son, but on a last resort. If it is something minor that he is doing, usually a little "lecture" or a time out will fix it. If it does not, he goes to his room. If it continues, then he will get spanked. I do think it gets a childs attention better than anything else, but I also think that kids may think its ok to hit if we use that as a form of discipline. However, I do agree that I think parents are afraid to corporally discipline their children nowdays because of fear. There is also a huge difference in spanking for discipline and spanking as abuse.