cat food stinks

I have to ask why does cat food stink so bad? I have 2 homeless cats eating out of our home. We buy cat food and it stinks. I have bought hot dogs to cut up and give the cats. They eat it up. Also when I buy cat food in the box (Dry)they won't touch it. My daughter says I should not give them people food. Can you tell me what they can eat? I can't continue to smell this.
@sedel1027 (17868)
Every brand of cat off smell differently. If you buy brands that are not made with real chicken, fish etc. they smell horribly. You should check to see the indgredients on the food. If is says chicken-by-product (or meat-by product) then you should not buy that type of food. The food that has real meat in it smells 100% better. Human foods that are okay for cats to eat buy you can't leave out are fresh chicken, low fat beef, tuna fish (anything not processed and preferably organic meats), cooked rice and greens (like lettuce). Pretty much what is in the dry cat food.
Oh boy r u ever correct. It is made with by products. I see I have to change foods again. My daughter really loves them. But the food is getting expensive. I will try a new one tonight. Thanks for the help.
@sedel1027 (17868)
I wanted to tell you about this new food that I got a sample for it is Purina Naturals. You may be able to find it wher eyou live, I can find it here. Anyways, it is high in protien and none of it is by products. There is almost no odor. Here is the link for the food. http://www.catchow.com/naturals/ They will send you a free sample and a $1.50 coupon to try the food.
Oh your so sweet to remember. I hae to get something else. They smell so bad. Thanks a bunch for this nice help.