Is islam a peaceful religion?

@ezzrssi (11194)
Italy
tell us please
@lauriefnp (5112)
No, I don't think that Islam is a peaceful religion. Any religion that could condone and even encourage its followers to commit vicious, heinous crimes of terror directed towards people who have different beliefs, all in the name of their "God", is not peaceful nor humane.
I think that Islam is not by nature a violent religion. It is the fundamentalists who interpret the Quran that way. If you read the old testament it says that people should be stoned, or other various punishments for small crimes. Also last time I checked it was the Pope before the protestant reformation who sent the armies to the "Holy Land" to win it from the "infidels" (read as Muslims) who controlled it at the time and were living in peace. These wars as you know were called the crusades. And since there were no protestants at the time I can in fact generalize that it was all of Christianity that perpetrated this war.
I believe that any religion that deems others to be heathens and are going to burn for the sin of not following that religion is not peaceful. What you should really be asking is, "Is Christianity a peaceful religion?" They advocate the missionary and conversions of non-Christians and those principles were the driving force behind the white man's burden and manifest destiny (this is a principle from US history) thinking that have caused the countless persecution and amounts of hatred.
@MrNiceGuy (4147)
Why turn it to Christianity hating? This thread isn't about that. Not to mention that Islam has been just as virulent in its spread, even up to today. You forget that over the majority of time, CHristianity's spread is voluntary, not compulsory like in Islam
I dont think because it was signated from the start to the violence