Dark Parking Lot Problems

So there was this big ad campaign a couple years back where the department of transportation was urging you to pull off the road if you didn't feel capable of driving. My family and I were coming back from a later night event after having spent all day walking, dancing, and having fun. We took turns driving but eventually the only driver left was not sober, so we decided to pull off the road and sleep it off for a bit before trying to go any further. We find a nice dark parking lot to pull into and take about a 15 minute nap then I realize I have to go to the restroom. Being the most awake (for obvious reasons) of the sober people, I turns on the headlights and started to pull out of the driveway to the parking lot when a cop car zoomed inlgiths flashing. Apparently the dark parking lot looked good to thieves as well because that particular store had been broken into multiple times over the last few weeks. We were still dressed in our partying garb and had no way to conceal the large items the store had in stock so after being asked about 5 times if I was sober (and me trying not to let the pee run down my leg) they finally let us go with a warning to "not park in any more dark parking lots". So should we DRIVE when we are so tired none of us can see the lines on the road then? Couldn't they have at least told us where a public parking lot was? Some times I wonder about folks.
• Janesville, Wisconsin
No, of course not.. But Next time. You may want to try parking lots. of stores or places that are open, or 24 hr service places, Truck Stops, Even pull into a hotel parking lot, maybe check yourselves in for a night... or something.... or ask them if its alright for you to park there for a little bit. Most Truck Stops servicing places are safe places to park. Some free campgrounds or parks, may have parking spaces you can use, Parks that are open 24/7 ... You need to carefully plan ahead, to make sure you know of where you can and can not stop in a situation like this. Sometimes, people will let you pull into their drive way if you know of any friends or people nearby... or park close to the store, where you can be easily seen so you do not look as suspicious. and My question is. Did you tell the Officer you pulled over because of drivers fatigue?... and you all needed a little, rest before going on further, and you could have asked him where a more suitable place to park was, but explained you were on your way to the bathroom, first.. - DNatureofDTrain
The officers had the whole story and were more interested in searching our car (how exactly does one fit a boat inside ones car?) and delaying the use of the restroom than being helpful. We were totally unfamiliar with the area and our previous plans had fallen through due to being overbooked. The only problem with 24/7 places is they are lit so as to not be robbed, which coincidentally makes ti so you can't sleep in the parking lots.
• Kuwait
of course not, i no cant drive safely so why i will risk my life on pretending that im fine and can drive, if i cant i will stop on a safe place or put emergency parking ligth so people will know that im at emergency stop and cannot drive.
I was so bushed it wasn't even funny.
@MzLefty (311)
It appears that the officer was just doing his job,you can't be to careful these days,it was better to have a officer annoy you,than to have some stranger try to harm you and the others.there should always be someone who is completely sober to be the desinated driver.just be happy that he did not take everyone to jail.
The only person who had been drinking was NOT driving and I NEVER drive drunk. They couldn't very well haul us to jail as we broke NO laws. Even trespassing would have to have a warning in Texas.
@ryan444 (207)
Try using fast food. Like McDonald's. They pretty much let you loiter around inside and out for HOURS without kicking you out. Plus, the bathrooms aren't all that gross usually. Some of the other fast food restaurants have less than perfect performance in this field.
The only problem with that is I can't sleep if it is bright and McDonald's and the like are always terribly bright. If I'd been able to plan farther ahead I would have had an eye mask.
@blueman (16513)
the police did the right thing but they are always at the wrong place, where they were when somebody was getting looted, they always bother innocent people, had some expereince with police and had always been like that.
Seems like that's the way it always goes. Though to be fair, how can they KNOW when someone is just trying to be safe versus robbing a place without checking?
@onesiobhan (1330)
I heard once from an elderly couple that had pulled off the road to take a quick nap so that they could make it home safely. When they woke up there was a ticket on the window for being in a no parking zone. My biggest problem with this story is that the cop stopped by a car with two unconcious people in it - and instead of checking to see if they were OK, he gave them a ticket! What is *wrong* with that person?
Wow! I'd be filing a complaint against the police officer if I were them. Especially being elderly, the cop should have at lest tried to awaken them.
@gopal_85 (509)
yes ofcourse they are right these dark parkings are for black market trade. so dont go there
Because sleeping in a bright parking lot is so much easier to do and driving while exhausted is safer?
@amitheone (274)
Well, there is a big reason why they told you not to park your car in a dark place. That is good spot where robbers could steal off your goods and maybe take your care and kill someone. Do not drive while drunk. You could have stayed at your friends for safety sake.
I WAS NOT driving drunk!
@shywolf (4520)
Yes, it would have been really nice if they had at least pointed you towards a better more public place to rest. They shouldn't have been encouraging you to keep driving if you were that tired and not in the right state to drive properly. I'm so sorry that this happened to you :( It's sad too that more parking lots aren't better lit. I worry sometimes at night walking in a dark parking lot that something bad could happen.
@kgwat70 (13396)
Sorry to hear that you had to go through the questioning by the police but a completely dark parking lot is vulnerable to criminals so I would find a supermarket and mall parking lot or somewhere where criminal activity is less likely. At least we know the police are doing their jobs and making sure the area is safe. Either that or they should install lights at this dark parking lot so that tired drivers can go there and criminals may not hang out around there.
@padhukr (2267)
yes.
@anne_143god (5390)
I agree that sometimes it is very hard to look for a safe parking specialy when you are on a place where theres alot of people and there is no other available parking.
@caribe (2465)
I used to travel a lot and when I was so tired that I couldn't drive, I could sleep anywhere, lighted parking lot or not. I preferred the lighted truck stop parking lots because I felt, at the time they were safer. There were times when a hotel or motel was not available and the next best thing was to pull off and sleep for a little while, rather than continuing to travel when I needed to sleep.