Do people really need 3 meals a day?

@fidainc (412)
Singapore
Most people think that 3 meals a day is what everyone needs. I for one, am only hungry for about 2. I don't starve myself, it's just that I'm not hungry. Does anyone agree with me that sometimes 3 meals is just too many?
I've discussed this a lot recently with my doctor. She is of the opinion that people these days eat far too much and she says that, if you are an adult (i.e., not a growing, developing young person), you should eat if you are hungry and, if you aren't, it doesn't hurt to just not eat. She says that we have evolved to be people that eat much more food than we really need. In the time when people had to go out and find/hunt/trap their own food, they needed to eat more substantial meals to have the energy to do all that they needed to do. But, these days, we are much more sedentary people and we just don't need all the food we consume.
@fidainc (412)
yeah... i blame lifestyle more than anything really
This is the attitude that more people need. People think that they need to eat until the are bursting and eat often. The human body doesn't need the 2000 calories that the FDA in the US says it does. Only if you are a large individual with a lot of muscle mass is that the case. Most people don't need to eat as much as they do and need to eat healthier.
@fidainc (412)
i agree... people with sedentry lifestyle I think should take in like 1000 calories and thats it.
I prefer 3 meals a day. It also depends what work we do.
I prefer to eat 4 or 5 smaller meals throughout the day, and I've heard that this is actually better for you. However, with classes and work, this is not really feasible, and I think that is probably true for most people. Thus, I usually eat about twice a day, with maybe a snack here or there.
It's actually been scientifically proven that more frequent, smaller "snacks" throughout the day is actually more efficient! Your body appreciates it more and it assures yourself that you have the best chance to keep your metabolism high and your waist in tact!