How long do you keep leftovers in your fridge?

@Ashida (1370)
My wife says anything more than a week is too long. I say if it smells ok, it is ok. Also what's the longest you've kept something in the fridge?
@skyblade (482)
Yeah, I have to agree with your wife. More than a few days, I'd toss it. I guess it depends on what it is since some things spoil faster than others. I've kept some things in the fridge for probably months (I know, gross) before tossing them.
@Ashida (1370)
my wife will be glad to know she's vindicated -- thanks for all the replies
@sj_chaudhry (1537)
left overs - left over foods taste better on next day but dont kept it for week.
i think your wif eis right the food which kept for 1 week in the fridge might lost some essential food nutirents. Dont let your food 1 day older... it is good to eat food the next day rather then rest it for 1 week in the fridge. Some times food do smell good but when you heat it up it become rotten. So preferably just simply throw it away.
I agree... 1 week seems to be a good standard. I am not big on leftovers at all, especially since we don't really have leftovers. But I agree that if it smells okay, it should be okay. I say "should" because it may not always be the case!!
@sunshinecup (7881)
In my house we have a 3 day rule. I think that is long enough before bacteria sets in. So it's 3 days, then it's gone. No food poisoning in my house thank you, LOL.
@ganwn071 (1117)
I took the 3 days rule, anything after 3 days, will be throw away. I just do not want to take risk s since I have kids sharing the food.
@brimia (6584)
I try to use them pretty quickly...about a week at the most.
to keep ur veggie fresh in fridge jus keep the green ones wrapped in the foils n the cooked food in the top racks.this will help u keep the food good to eat for longer duration
@sweetee (421)
three days is longest i will keep something for and then it is thrown out.
@cabergren (1181)
My husband keeps things for way too long. I usually only like to keep things for a day or two at the most. I have heard that food kept too long gets all kinds of bacteria. And that you can actually get sick from it.
@hopefoo (1145)
I keep mine for a few days and if nobody wants to eat it I throw it away. Problems I have regarding food is not leftovers but the stuff that I buy. When I do go grocery shopping, I'm very impulsive and I buy all sorts of stuff. Some of put into the freezer and use them whenever I need to, others like canned goods, i keep in the pantry. The problem is, I don't usually cook or eat at home and end up with a lot of expired goods. :/
@sunita64 (6473)
I prefer to finish within two days, otherwise I forget that something is kept and later I have no option but to throw that out.
@babyhar (1335)
I personally do not like keeping left overs for more than three days. I just don't find them to be as fresh after this period of time. I know that left overs don't usually ever end up lasting that long anyways around our house since if we do have left overs.. My other half will take them for lunch so he has something to eat during his breaks at work.. I think the longest someone can keep leftovers though should be for at least a week. But it does all depend upon what the leftover's are. I mean certain foods can last longer then others I find. And then there are some type of foods that need to be eaten as fast or as soon as possible. Since they can end up spoiling a lot faster then most. I know that if one makes sure that they keep things covered or in containers with tight seals. That it shouldn't be a problem to keep these left overs for a week. I personally prefer not to do this as I like my left overs to be as fresh as possible. And of course everyone know's that some foods end up tasting better the second day around anyways.. Other then that.. If I know that the left overs aren't going to end up being eaten as fast then I will end up freezing the left overs that I have. What you & your wife could do is.. If you want to keep something for longer than 3 days, you can instead put it in the freezer instead of keeping it in the fridge.. That way you can take it out when you want to eat it. This way it is not only sealed.. But also, you should be able to keep these left overs in the freezer for a few months. Though don't forget about them as I have done this in the past & I never ended up being able to eat them.. Because they ended up being freezer burnt.. But to avoid this problem just make sure to eat the left overs within that week instead of leaving them for a month. I know I won't freeze things such as desserts though as I find they just don't taste as good afterwards.. At least with left overs you can unfreeze them or warm them up.. And they don't end up tasting disgusting afterwards.. haha. In conclusion.. I honestly prefer just leaving my left overs in the fridge for 3 days & not going over that time. But like I had said if you guys are having a difficult time agreeing on how long food should be kept in the fridge.. Maybe turn to freezing some of your left overs for a few days until the two of you are ready to eat them.. I wish you all the best. Thanks for allowing me to share! xx
@sherrir101 (3670)
I go by the 3 day rule, also. We have 'leftovers day' on the 3rd day. It's a habit and we enjoy it. I am frugal and this saves us money.