Flesh Eating Bacteria.......any survivors

@mari61960 (4895)
I survived Necrotizing Fasciitis in 2000. I was wondering if there are any other survivors out there. It has not been easy and I am still bandaging splits in my scar tissue. But hey I am alive and kicking. Many are not so lucky. It has been a long haul with lots of setbacks. I still am not back to where I was but keep plodding along my path to where I don't know. I just can't seem to get over it and back to my self. Those that have been there can identify I'm sure. Anyone ...I would love to here your story and know how you have come along.
For those who are not sure what this is (I had to look it up myself), here is a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necrotizing_fasciitis How did you get such a thing Mari? That question I am sure has been asked of you several times. I couldn't imagine how horrible this has been for you. I am glad to hear that you are on the mend. Huggers to you.
@mari61960 (4895)
No one really knows why some poeple get it and other's don't. The germ is there on everyones body it just has to have the right opportunity to get in. I had a little pimple like thing on the back of my leg and I was very sick while on vacation. I din't connect the two, but all of a sudden this little tiny pimple grew overnight and I thought it was a boil. No big deal, well by the third day I was so sick and couldn't even barly sit the pain was so, so bad. I made an appointment for the doctors and laid down until it was time. My friend brought me to the appointment, by now I was so sick I could barely stand up..it's gets a bit fuzzy from there.. But he sent me straight to the hospital and basically I woke up 6 weeks later with no idea what had happened. I had a treache, colostomy, catheter and was being tube fed.. I couldn't talk so I couldn't even ask questions.. Well that's enough about that it just makes me depressed...lol I know I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I got everything reversed by the end of the 2nd year.. so I'm much better now..lol
Congratulations on your recovery Mari. Big huggers to you.
@JenInTN (27565)
Hi mari! I know this is an older discussion but recently a friend of mine here started one about the condition that you have survived. I was hoping you could give some input on what you have been through and how you are doing now. I hope that you have recovered fully and are leading a healthy life now. I hate that you have had to go through such a terrible experience.
@mari61960 (4895)
Well I am basically recovered....lol I still have scar tissue that splits on the back of my left leg. I haven't had cellulitis in the past year so that's good. My split had almost healed about a month ago...and then the hot weather came and due to all the humidity and sweltering heat it has split open and is now the size of about a nickel. So I am back to being a slave to the almighty bandage. Other than that I have recovered. Thanks for asking it has been a long and unhappy road from 2000. Blessed be, Mari
@jcj_111776 (3221)
Hi... Last night was the time I really learned about Necrotizing Fasciitis. I was searching for some topics that I can use for another site when I stumbled upon an image that I won't ever forget. Mari, I'm truly glad that you survived it.