Earthquake in Taiwan disrupts communications in South Korea

@vnpk89 (39)
Vietnam
South Korea's KT corp., the country's largest fixed-line operator, said Wednesday its undersea fiber optic cables were disconnected in the southern seas off Taiwan due to a strong earthquake Tuesday night. So?n: HA 994859 g?i d?n 996 d? nh?n ?nh này Red circle in the pic shows the areas that have optic cables have been disconnected. (Photo:FPT Telecom) The earthquake cut cable lines under the sea and disrupted communications services for local foreign companies, the KT said. "We have to consult with other international companies to put the disconnected lines back to normal," a KT spokesman said. "We are still in contact with them but we cannot say exactly when the service will be normalized since the fear of aftershocks remains." According to the South Korea's Yonhap News Agency, Citigroup, HSBC, Reuters, Bloomberg and some other foreign companies operating here were affected by the disconnection, while the Foreign Ministry is also affected by the communications disruption. The Citygroup's Internet banking service between its branches has been normalized but the service with other banks remains paralyzed, Yonhap said.
I think it affected some countries too. Like here in our country, our internet connection at home slows down and I think some of the cell cites here isn't just working. I really can't say but it seems so.
Since the earthquake was last Tuesday (12-26) we felt the problem Wednesday (12-27) around 11:45am when all DSL connections where put to a standstill for about an hour. We were told the same thing by the system engineer of my DSL provider. Connection is very slow since then and takes time to show web pages. Looks like theres a lot of traffic going on since were all taking an alternate route to the internet backbone. I just hope it gets resolved pretty soon.