What superstition do you know for the first day of the year?

@Dolcerina (3380)
Hungary
Do you do any special things? Well, I always make the soup of lensil so that I have a lot of money. I do not like this soup but I eat the whole , that I make. What's more everybody must eat it in my family, because I do not let them to avoid to eat. ;) Now I hear that the last day of the year we must not take out the rubbish! Do you know some similar superstitons?
@NewHeart (528)
the one that comes to my mind is an old english custom where the first person to visit you in the new year should bring you a piece of coal and if he comes in your door should have dark hair... thats a very old one they don't have much use for coal anymore...
@Dolcerina (3380)
• Hungary
Thank you very much!
in the philippines one of the supertitions is at the first day of the year or before new year step up you should have maoney in your pocket. when it comes to food we dont prepare chicken in new years eve cause they say it could bring hunger and bankcrupcy.
@Dolcerina (3380)
• Hungary
It is new for me and interesting. We may not eat chicken or other bird, because the fortune fly away with it.
@crazynurse (7510)
In the United States, there are different superstitions for different areas of the country. The area in which I live has the superstition that if one cooks and eats black-eyed peas they will have good luck the entire new year and if they prepare and eat collard greens (kind of like spinich) they will not be broke (have no money) in the entire new year. Other parts of the United States say that one must cook sour kraut and ham, still other parts of the United States say one must eat corned beef. Oh well, I have rambled long enough. Best of luck to you in the New Year!
@Dolcerina (3380)
• Hungary
Thank you very much for your interesting comment.
@lucy02 (5017)
Normally I would cook black eyed peas which is what is considered good luck in this area but unfortunately I've had the flu and we just ate leftovers.
@Dolcerina (3380)
• Hungary
I am really sorry. Wish you only health for the rest of the year. I hope you changed at least you underwear to a red one. I did. So now I can be calm. :)
@pizzoli (3381)
in my country as supestition many people wear red underwear or throw old dishes or other things from the window..
@Dolcerina (3380)
• Hungary
Oh, yes I know the red underwear theme. THank you. I probably do not throw anything from the window :D Good. I like it. I rate the comments.
@adidas7878 (2013)
i do not know any superstition or any kind for new year, maybe i need to get out more. lol all i know that we have a big fest, and welcome the new year, and every year i stay up late, but than again i stay up late every night, lol.
@Dolcerina (3380)
• Hungary
That is too simple