Killing animals for religious reasons

@sedel1027 (17868)
So this morning I pull up Fox News and there is an article about over 1,000 people being harmed in animal sacrifice. I chuckle to myself thinking that these people deserve it for killing innocent animals. I read the article (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,240302,00.html) and it is about people sacrificing animals for Eid al-Adha. I was taken aback by this since I didn't think that any religion still practiced animal sacrifice. I understand that it is part of their religious belief; it just seems out of context in such a modern world. Also, what it symbolizes is Abraham sacrificing a ram instead of his son. Since these people eat the meat, in my opinion this isn't really a sacrifice, but a way to feed their family. No different than people in the US eating Turkey on Thanksgiving Day. Even thought these people do eat what they sacrifice, do you agree with how they go about doing it? Since they eat the food, should it be called a sacrifice?
@JashleyB (1441)
That's a hard one...I'd think if it was to do with your religion it'd mean sacrifice lol. Wow, they really got hurt huh!?
@Sailor (1161)
It should still b called a sacrifice because it is the reason they are killing that particular animal. The eating is probably more to not waste what u r provided with and to eat a blessed animal. Just like in certain countries and tribes it is an honor to eat certain parts of a freshly killed animal.
@Sailor (1161)