Can you get over a serious Phobia?

@JashleyB (1441)
I have Arachnophobia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachnophobia ) really bad and some people have told me that to get over it I need to face my fears. But if that includes getting near that which I fear I'm afraid I'd die first... Do you actually know someone who has gotten over a serious Phobia like this? How did they do it??
@carolynpb (647)
I don't really kow if facing your phobia's would get you over them or not but I have always thought that would be the best way. Maybe you should try it and see if it works. I f yoyu do..please let us know.
@JashleyB (1441)
Okay I will. Thanks for the help!
Hate to say it, but people have told you the right thing. I myself suffer from this same phobia. The only way to get over it is to face it. The key to being successful in this venture is to start slow. Start by being near the really small spiders. When you get used to that, get near the ones that are a little larger. When you get used to that, try to let the small ones crawl on you. That may be hard at first, but you will get used to it. Once you've gotten that far, try to get closer to bigger spiders. You can do this by having them behind something like glass or in an aquarium. This way you can get close to them, but not have them touching you. When you can do this, then you're ready to get to the bigger spiders like tarantulas. These spiders are harmless, and kinda cute in a way. First you just be around them. When you're used to that, try touching them. Then let them crawl over your hand. If you can do that, then you're ready to hold one in your hand. If you can do that, then you've conquered your phobia. This is not an easy task, but it can be done successfully. I wish you all the best in getting over your phobia.
@JashleyB (1441)
Oh my, that sounds so terrifying...Thank you though!
@stailgate (2363)
I don't know. I have a phobia of frogs and my husband thought that if I got by one I would get over it and I didnt. I just cried and felt silly. I cried because I was so afraid. I felt silly because my four year old son touches them. I have gotten to the point where I can get by them now without running away, but I still am afraid of them, and still will not touch one. It takes time and doing it little by little, not all at once.