I have someone in my family that knows everything

@TerryZ (22085)
Do you have someone in your family that thinks they know everything? and they are never wrong? I do and Im afraid to say anything because it is my aunt. I dont want to be dissrespectful. I really love her but she gets on my nerves.And I dont have many nerves left.Do you have any suggestions for me?
@tentwo67 (3384)
The person in my family who does this is my husband's cousin's wife. Luckily I don't have to see her too often because I find her so annoying. She doesn't seem to have an unexpressed opinion, about anything, and she doesn't really present her opinion as such. She's just convinced that she knows best about everything. Even on the subjects I agree with her on, I still get annoyed by her. In your case, with a loving relative you don't want to offend, it's a little bit different. If you really don't want to hurt her feelings, maybe you need to try to change your responses. See if you can convince yourself that her never ending "righteousness" actually makes her endearing? This is strictly a suggestion of what might help you deal with your irritation better. I can't speak from experience on it, because my annoying relative is not someone I feel strongly about staying friendly with. Good luck!
@TerryZ (22085)
Thankyou I will give it a try. Hows it go? You can pick your friends not your family
@Rozie37 (15503)
• Turkmenistan
People tell me that I think I know everything, but I am actually very insecure about a lot of issues. For me, I see that person as one of my aunts. She fusses a lot, but we are able to laugh at her now. When I was a child I was afraid of her, because she fussed about things that did not make sense to me. Her bathroom door knob was broken for many years. When you closed it, you would get stuck in there and once you got it open the knob always ended up on the floor and she would fuss like crazy. She would also fuss when we stepped on her hardwood floor and it squeaked. To this day she still fusses if she feels you have slammed her car door, even though you know better, because she reminds you everytime you open it. I think she's just nervous. One thing though, she may be a know it all, but when she gives me advice she is usually right and I have learned to love and respect her for that. Find something in this person that you love and when you get annoyed, dwell on that good thing that makes them unique and maybe the bad wont bother you as much.
I have someone in my family that is like that big time. All you can do is try to ignor them, and not disagree, let them talk and go along with it. Be thankful you don't have to live with them, then we would have wars with them most likely. You will never win with people like that. Take her in small dosages, and let it go over your head.
@TerryZ (22085)
Thanks for the tip I have realized its a no win sitution.
Oops, spelled wrong. Thanks again for the best response.
@pinklilly (3446)
My brothers are always right and know everything about everything so they think, it bugs me but I have learn't to say nothing and not to disagree or it turns into an argument at least I know the truth..... I have proved to them a few times that they were actually wrong, one of them will then acknowlege the mistake but the other will just say uh and then say nothing....... It's hard to have a conversation with somebody who always thinks they are right....
@TerryZ (22085)
I know the feeling. Thanks for sharing.
@gabs8513 (48764)
Well Dear Friend the best way to deal with that is by just agreeing and thinking your own thing, that is what I do. My Mum can be like that but I also have Friends that are like that. I used to argue with them but not anynore as I just got to Frustrated about it, so now I just yes I guess you are right and leave it at that. Hugs to you .
@TerryZ (22085)
Your right because if I argue I only end up having them mad at me.
@beckyomg1 (6759)
Oh yeah i do. It is actually on my hubbys side of the family. And the sad thing is he is really loud too. Sometimes you just have to catch them in something that you can just let them know that they are wrong. That might help for a little bit. LOL.
@SimplyJo (1694)
yes we all have those 'know it alls' everywhere. i too know quite a few of my aunts and uncles who think they are oh so purrrfect and know everything - well, guess what ? they don't !