Do you think it is right for government to ban transfat in food?

Hey, I saw where NY has some legislation regarding transfat in food. Do you feel it is right for government to intervene and legislate what is in food?
@misskatonic (3730)
If it's a safety issue? Yup. Transfat is dangerous, so the government is well within their rights. And so many companies have already been cutting transfat out of their food that it's really kind of just an official stamp of approval. It's not like they're trying to legislate based on arbitrary reasons.
@MrNiceGuy (4148)
Absolutely not. I think it is ridiculous for them to thinkt they can do that. What next, smoking? Drinking? Driving? All are dangerous and as long as people know what the dangers are, why take the decision away?
GO GIRL! Yup, I agree 100%. Just as I don't agree with banning smoking altogether (but I DO WANT IT STOPPED IN PUBLIC BUILDINGS!), I don't think banning how food is made is correct. What would be next?! Just educate and let people decide for themselves. I think of the history books I have read, when something is banned (prohibition) we start terrible underground and black markets. These are far more dangerous because no one knows what will be in the products that are being sold!
@emeraldisle (13158)
Very good points. We should make the choices on what we want to do and what we take into our bodies. Enough of the government deciding. The more they decide the less we get to. They take away that and then other things that they deem as "Bad". I don't want someone else making those choices for me. I want to live my life the way I want.
Yes, I do. It's really for the best of the people.
@micheller (1366)
No, I do not think that it is right for them to intervene with what is in food. As long as the company who produces the product puts how much of transfat is in the food, it should be up to the people whether they want to eat it or not.
This was the point of debate that I was hoping to start. Thank you for bringing up this side of the issue!
Yes. Everyone knows transfat is bad for us, its proven. So the government is only doing whats in best interest of the public.
I agree wholeheartedly.
@loved1 (5338)
The government already legislates what is in food. Do you realize how many products contain high fructose corn syrup? Red dye? Tons of unnecessary additives? It is crazy! Ten years from now they will say "Oops! I guess that additive causes cancer! Sorry!".
@carmat (2850)
If we have proven that transfat is not healthy for us than someone needs to step in and legislate it to protect the general public. I hope we are sure before we do this, but if it helps the overall health of the public than it is good for all of us.
@emeraldisle (13158)
No I don't think the government should be doing this. It should be up to the individual person to decide if they want to use such things or eat food prepared with it. Why should the government decide what is 'bad" for us and what we should not do? Who made them our super parent? If it starts here what will they take a way next? Caffienne and anything that has it in it? I do not want my rights taken away. Let me decide for myself. That should be my right.
YES i agree with u and also feel that its not right that goverment to ban transfat in food. Its not a good for us