Japanese Films - they're great!

I love Asian cinema, in particular the films of Beat Takeshi! My favourites are: Hana Bi, Kikujiro, Sonatine (all-time classic) and Battle Royale. Has anyone else discovered asian film, and if so, who are your fave directors/actors, which are your favourite films, and why?
Don't forget Korean film, too. These 3 nations really seem to be on the pulse nowadays. I wish the West was still making movies with a plot, rather than just bikini-clad girls, and guys saying 'dude'! Try 'Azumi' and 'A Tale of Two Sisters'.
Excellent comments! I have actually seen both the films you recommend, and must say that "A Tale of Two Sisters" is my personal favourite. Beautifully made, very intelligent, and with a soundtrack to die for!
I, also, agree that 'Beat' is a masterful actor, but personally, I prefer 'Tore Mifune' who was to Akira Kurasawa, what Joseph Cotton was to Orson Welles! These partnerships between director and actor can bring great movies alive.
Thanks for that - Kurosawa and Mifune were a great pair, who made excellent films. I enjoy their films too, but for different reasons to modern Japanese films - they really spawned the beginning of the artistic cinematic movement in Japan. I think that Kitano is following in their footsteps, but moving forward, and making great cinema in his own modern style, without forgetting the past.
@myjewel (268)
do you like japanese and korean horror films? they can really give you the chills!
Yes - in fact I don't find any other horror films scary - England and the US's horror films don't scare me at all, but the Asian horror films I've seen are terrifying. They manage to get that nightmare-ish imagery and feel which scares me rigid, and makes all the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. They're great! My absolute favourites in this genre are the "Ring" films, and Dark Water. The stories themselves are also so much better and more realistic and human than Western horror films, which have contrived unrealistic stories and effects.
@nuffsed (1275)
Lookout for Onibaba (The hole).
I've not heard of that one - is it a horror film? I'll keep my eyes peeled! Thanks for the recommendation.
@soumodeep (945)
Yeah Japanese movies are great too and I think Chinese movies are really cool too.
Thanks for your comments! I'm a fan of Chinese film too, in particular the late great Tony Leung made some marvellous films, and I've never seen him give a bad performance.