Frustrated with epinions? epinions.com

I am a user and writer for epinions. I used to write a lot and made some money, but I get frustrated when I try to find opinions on certain topics. There are a lot of things not listed. does anyone else have this problem?
Rachel, I, too am a regular contributor to Epinions (http://www.epinions.com/user-alexdg1); on a good week I cam write one review a day, and if I can, sometimes I'll do two. Lately I've had a bit of trouble keeping up the pace, but I've got over 900 reviews and have made over $800.00 I, too, have had what is called "catalog frustrations," in which I'll want to write a review about, say, a movie or a book and get all excited about it, only to see that the product isn't listed...or it's listed with a different name. The best thing to do under the circumstances is to do an advanced search...like maybe if you can't find the book title but know who wrote it. Sometimes that works well. Or you can go to the Help Center and see if Epinions can add it to the catalog.
Thanks. I'll try that. wow! you write a lot of epinions. That's great!
@hcromer (2712)
I used to be a really frequent writer on Epinions.com, but I have finally determined that it really is not worth it. Waiting for new products to be added is a huge pain, but if you need a new topic added you can ask the category lead in that category to add it for you. Their search engine is not very strong either. A lot of the time when I ask a CL to add an item for me, it is already on there, you just can't find it.
And of course, there are always the off-the-wall comments or ratings left on our reviews by less-than-mature members....or the Byzantine internal politics in various categories....or the hoops we have to jump through (figuratively) to keep "hats."
@goldjay (465)
If it is something that you want to write a review on, you can contact the category lead for that type of product and the category lead wlll be glad to add it to the database for you. I have done that a lot adn have had a lot of products added.
@lisado (1230)
I get this a lot. :( If you go to the Member Center and find the category lead for the area you are looking for they are good about adding stuff to the database for you. :) I try to be generic when I do a search. Sometimes I have several pages to sort thru, but sometimes the item won't come up unless it's worded a specific way. For example, if you put in Fisher Price Whatever the toy is, sometimes it won't find it. Why? I have no clue. I start out specific and hope the search works, if not, I widen my search by certain key words and go from there. :) HTH! www.epinions.com/user-lisado
It has happened to me many times. I waffle on whether to write the review first or see if it can be added. After spending time too many times writing the review only to find out the product cannot be added, I wait now. You can contact the Category Leads for each category and ask if a product can be added. Most will respond quickly to your request. Many of the leads have a link to a form on their profile page. Others are more convoluted, such as what is in the book section. I once asked for a product to be added, and when I didn't hear back for a while I deleted the review I'd written, figuring the product couldn't be added for whatever reason. The Lead sent me an email with a link to the new listing and apologized for not getting to it sooner - nine months later! Had to re-write that one.
I think the Epinions search engine, to be blunt, is awful. That is a big turn-off for me, especially as of late. Another thing that annoys me is seeing books under a certain title, say, Encounter at Farpoint by David Gerrold, and seeing a member's review that is Off Topic but everyone, including Advisors, rating it Very Helpful because they don't know diddly about the different Star Trek series!
@kelly60 (4548)
Another problem with getting products added is that every part of the form must be filled out in most cases. This means that if there is no website, or you can't find a picture of the product online to link to, you can't get it added. I have had that happen to me with a couple of different products in the past.
Or sometimes you do have a picture, Epinions posts it for a while, then it vanishes for no good reason. It can get annoying, I tell you.
Another reason for frustration is what I call the "internal politics" of Epinions. As a former student journalist who worked on the high school and college student newspapers, I'm accustomed to earning ranks not by popularity (though it helps to be liked) but by performance. Online reviewing, whether at Amazon (where you only get ranks) and Epinions, works the other way 'round, with Epinions being fairer as far as performance but somewhat less so in the popularity category. For instance, I used to gladly write Star Wars collectibles reviews for the Kids and Family section of Epinions, and I was getting many favorable ratings and was being considered for Top Reviewer status there. But after a regrettable instance where I argued with one of the Advisors there, the Category Lead has never even considered me for TR status. The reason I've been given is pure BS...I only write about one particular type of toy and the section needs more variety. I added variety, and I still didn't get TR status there. So, basically I've given up trying to get a "hat" there, and I'm getting used to the fact that my best friend from Epinions left the site in part because she felt morally outraged by this sort of behavior on the part of supposedly mature adults.
@kelly60 (4548)
I am also a member of epinions, and have occasionally been frustrated by this problem. Most of the leads are very good about adding the products, although some products can't be added for whatever reason.
@dravid (1050)
I DONT HAVE ANY IDEA...I HAVE NOT VISITED THE SITE YEAT
then, why did you respond? This discussion is for epinions users.
@hcromer (2712)
I have had this problem too. Not only when I was looking for other people's reviews of something, but often when trying to submit my own reviews. I hate trying to get a CL to add a product that is already on the site.
@beckish (614)
Yes, there are a lot of products not listed. I have discovered this especially lately, as my twin grandsons are almost seven months old and I have wanted to review numerous items in conjunction with them. Sometimes products can be added if you email the category leads. :-)
@swapnshop (219)
I never knew epinions paid cash for reviews. I use to write a few years ago, but I never got to into it as I was never getting anything out of it. I may go back and take a look at my old reviews, I forget how many I've wrote and what they were about. Is it possible to make decent money on epinions?