Junk Food...Why is it called junk?

@Sawsen (795)
Why do people call food from outside "junk food?" This term really bothers me. Like if I go out to eat Chinese food, my mom claims I'm eating "junk food". I mean what makes it junky? Don't the chinese eat the food they serve to others? They seem to be doing pretty good. Especially in the health department. I mean I rarely see a fat chinese person. Does anyone feel the same way?
I've always wondered that to! Maybe it's because theres a lot of fat and carbs in those foods? Oh well, life would be boring if there wasnt "junk food"...lol
@sjvg1976 (14552)
hi i think there is a confusion food with low nutritional value or zero nutritional vale is called "junk food".But Chinese food is healthy but it again depends on what you eat in Chinese. You should make understand your mother what is junk food. But really your mother's concern is right you should avoid eating junk food as these are not healthy at all.But people these days rely on junk food as it takes no time to prepare.
@sjvg1976 (14552)
this was for sawsen
@mzbubblie (3840)
They call it junk food because its not healthy for you. Chocolates, candies, anything that is high in sugar is considered junk food...
@ukchriss (2106)
forgot to say I think most chinese food is quite healthy and I agree its not very often you see a fat chinese person.
@ukchriss (2106)
Junk food is a slang term describing food that is thought to be unhealthy or having poor nutritional value. Junk food typically contains high levels of fat, salt or sugar and has lots of food additives, at the same time it is lacking in proteins, vitamins and fiber. Everyone has their own list of foods which they consider as junk food. Fast food such as McDonalds, KFC and Pizza Hut are often perceived as junk food. chocolate, crisps, biscuits and fizzy drinks are others. I would also include all other salted snack foods, all other fired foods and carbonated drinks.
@nuffsed (1275)
To call food from outside "junk food" is Errr poor judgement lol Junk food, more correctly, is food of little beneficial value. i.e. your burger and fries is heavy in saturated and unsaturated fats, salt, and heaven knows what additives went into the beast that you are eating to make it grow fast enough to out compete other farms. Then there's all the sugar and other additives like phosphorous in your American favourite big "C". Come on, do you really need telling what is junk food, are you up in the Ozarks or somewhere?
@MsTickle (25014)
junk = rubbish I think fast food and other food purchased outside the home is so overly processed that any resemblance to actual healthy food is usually lost in the process. It is also cooked in a way detrimental to one's health.
@sjvg1976 (14552)
@brokentia (10396)
I always thought junk food was labeled for candies, cookies, and chips. I don't refer to going out to eat as junk food. There is actually some pretty good food out there to eat! Ever been to Sweet Tomatoes or Fresh Choice? I am sure she wouldn't think that was junk food, ha ha. Oh and Taco Bell will never been seen as Junk Food to me!! ha ha Come on! Beans, meat and cheese...it can't be a bad thing, Right? LOL
@kgwat70 (13398)
Junk food is considered food that is not healthy for you and is very fattening and high in cholesterol and sugar and has other bad ingredients in it. Fast food places, pizza places and chinese food are considered junk food places. There are other places as well. I am not sure why chinese food is considered junk food though people have told me the food is very greasy and fattening. It doesn't seem that way to me though. Chinese food is very good.
cuz its trash.. really it is