Over the counter tooth whitening strips...do they work?

Hello. Will you please share your experience with the over-the-counter tooth whitening strips? I find myself wanting to whiten my teeth...as they have yellowed over the years. (probably too much iced tea, soda, and what not) Do the strips really work? How much change did you see? Do they hurt or burn the gums or anything? Thanks!
I used them, and hardly saw a change. I asked the dentist about them. He said that as we age, our tooth enamal thins, and that is why they don't look so white. The strips will only remove some of the stains from tea and coffee. Nothing burned or hurt.
There is that terrible word again...age! Ha! Just kidding. I suppose mine will not change much so why worry with the expense! Thanks for letting me know!
@babystar1 (4236)
Yes I did use them they work. The only thing is that you might have to do them over every 6 months or so.After about the 4 day I did notice that my gums did hurt some, but it went away .
Thanks for telling me about them. I have had several poeple at work tell me that they had some discomfort.
@NucknFutz (180)
I have never tried these whitening strips, though i've heard very much about them! From my friends who have used them, i have not been able to tell a big difference. To whiten my own teeth, i visited my dentist, who gave me a whitening formula specifically for my own teeth! This has worked very well, and my teeth have stayed white. To keep any whitening, i would avoid coffee, tea, or any other food colorings (or brush your teeth after consuming them). Good luck!
@loved1 (5336)
I have tried the crest strips but they were too big of a hassle to use so I gave up. I did notice that my teeth were becoming more sensitive as I used them.
I've never used them but I'm pretty sure they work. The problem is though that to get whiter teeth you can't really clean the enamel, you actually need to remove it kind of. Think of it like scraping the top coat of paint off a piece of wood, kind of the same thing. The problem is that if you use whiteners too often you can make your teeth weaker and more susceptible to cavities I believe. Its really a person choice about how much you want whiter teeth. I suggest consulting a dentist as to how whitening products work before trying them.