Making Pine Cone Bird Feeders

What you need: ·Pinecones ·Lard ·Peanut Butter ·Birdseed ·Popcorn ·String What you do: 1. Roll the pinecones in a mixture of half lard and half peanut butter, then in birdseed or popcorn. 2. Attach a string long enough so that the pinecone can hang from a tree branch. 3. Find a tree that you can see easily; hang your feeder there and watch the birds come! **Please note that mixing lard and peanut butter together is recommended instead of using straight peanut butter. Straight peanut butter can strangle small birds as they cannot get it off
@lilaclady (28240)
Wow I love this idea as most people feed birds bread scraps which is not good for them, this is a fabulous idea, thank you.
@lilaclady (28240)
Just a question is there anything else you could mix the peanut butter with other than lard, maybe of non animal product...:)
Yes, you can add cornmeal or shortening to the peanut butter.
@MakDomMom (1474)
Pinecorn Birdfeeder - Pinecorn Birdfeeder
I have made pinecorn birdfeeders with pinescones, peaneut butter and birdseed. We just rolled the pinecone in the peanut butter, then in the birdseed. I never knew abour mixing it with lard though. That is something that I will have to keep in mind next time we make them!
you can also mix it with shortening or cornmeal.
@brendalee (6083)
Thanks for the idea and how to do it. I love feeding the birds and watching them. I had a blue jay the other day steal a piece of my cat food that is out on the porch. They ate all of the bell that I had for them and I haven't gotten any more food for them this week. I think I will make one of these this weekend and see how they like it.
My daughter and I did this project once, and then hung the pinecones from strings along our fence. About an hour later, they were all gone... stolen by squirrels! lol. My daughter was MAD!
@na2482 (423)
I remember making these in elementary school years ago and it was fun back then. I had no idea they still did these.
@shoelover (896)
Thankyou for this. Now all my native birds will be happy. At the moment they've been getting drunk on the bottlebrush tree at the front yard. Hopefully if I encourage them to the back yard the neighbours cats won't have as much of a chance in pouncing on them.
@Lydia1901 (16354)
Thanks for that I'll keep it in mind incase that I'll need it someday.
@umerasif (532)
• Pakistan
thanks