Happy Birthday to THE KING!

Did you know that on January 8th 1935, a star was born? Elvis Presley. For those of you who are not familiar with the works of the King of Rock 'n Roll, let me tell you that there are plenty. Elvis' music is played worldwide, and even if you think that you don't know any of it, chances are that you do, especially since many contemporary renditions have been performed. I love so much of his music, and as a child I also enjoyed watching his movies. And I am always glad when his songs are re-sung, such as when UB40 did " (I)Can't Help Falling in Love With You." So today, let us all take out our Elvis CD's and contemporary renditions, (and if you have the Elvis costume, I suggest wearing it), so that we may all wish him a Happy Birthday. And if you get a chance to go to Graceland or Las Vegas on the 8th, that is even better. And as they say, "The King still lives," (in our hearts for sure)...("You aint nothing but a hound dog, is playing in my head)... :)
I didn't know Januarey 8th was Elvis' birthday. That makes him a capricorn. He's so famous and is so known but no one ever talks about when his birthday is. I didn't know you were such a big fan of his. :)
Yeah, I like him a lot...grew up on his work, actually...and yeah, it is weird that no one else cares about his bday, just me...lol
@yorb24 (2181)
Forgot to post here on his birthday. I only recently became a fan last year. I was only almost 2 when he passed away. My mom was and is a big fan. I got the opportunity to go to Graceland when I was 12 (we happened to live in Millington, Tennessee for a few weeks which is only 45 minutes from Memphis)but at the time I didn't see what the big deal was lol. I should have headed to Vegas on the 8th since I live only 5 hours from there (I'm in southern California). But I'll be going there next month and I'm going to check out that Elvis Museum.
I hope you have a great time there. For me, growing up, I always knew that he was famous, and it was nice to watch all of his work and listen to his music. And then, there were so many people imitating him, througout the years, that it added to the persona. Also, Lisa Marie added to the publicity with her marriage/divorce to Michael Jackson.
@sigma77 (5385)
I was never a huge Elvis fan, even though I grew up with his music. I do like a lot of his songs. I went to see him in concert on New Years eve in 1975. It was hard to belive that he would be gone only 18 months later. He did make a few good movies too. The big rumor around here used to be that Elvis was alive and well, living in Kalamazoo, Michigan. I have been to Kalamazoo several times, but have never seen him. Oh well, I still have a greatest hits album from the 70's that plays just fine on my turntable. My favorite song has always been "Return To Sender" from 1963.
My co-worker is the same way, she was raised on his music, and listened to it as a child, but was never "crazy" about him. However, whenever we would play his songs at work, we would always be singing along. New year's eve was just a few days ago, and I know how crazy that was around the world. I can only imagine how it would've been there that night. Yeah, so many people say that they have spotted him around, but I don't know, it doesn't seem to me that he could have been hidden away for that long. And there really is no reason to hide anymore, because people are not ashamed or afraid of anything these days...
@hasseyg (313)
Yeah he was a complete musical legend!!!
@miryam (6510)
ok now I remeber....when are a chidren, I look the movie, I like Elvis, and knowd all of Elvis, now there are a lot of band of rock....and I forgett them.I'm sorry that..... Thanks for that remember
@usman400 (1588)
• Pakistan
Yes, happy birth day nice feelings