italian meatball soup

By Raz
@razcal2267 (15577)
1/4 cup olive oil 1 cup frozen chopped onions (about 6 oz) 4 garlic cloves, chopped 1 celery rib, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise 2 carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise 5 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (42 fl oz) 2 1/2 cups water 20 refrigerated or frozen precooked meatballs (15 to 20 ounces) 2 (14-oz) cans small white beans, drained and rinsed 1 (5- to 6-oz) bag baby spinach, coarsely chopped 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste 1/4 teaspoon black pepper Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 5- to 6-quart pot over high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook onions, garlic, celery, and carrots, stirring occasionally, until onions are pale golden, about 4 minutes. Stir in broth and water and bring to a boil, covered. Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté meatballs (do not thaw if frozen), turning occasionally, until browned all over, about 3 minutes. Add meatballs to soup along with beans and briskly simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and meatballs are heated through, about 15 minutes. Stir in spinach, cheese, salt, and pepper and simmer, uncovered, until spinach is wilted, about 1 minute.
@misskatonic (3730)
That sounds delicious! I'll have to give that a try at some point. I love meatballs and I love soup, so this appeals to me! It'd be a great starter soup for a larger meal, a pasta dish or something.
@razcal2267 (15577)
I usually just have a salad with this soup because it for me is so filling. I am sure it would be great along with pasta though. You will have to tell me if and when you try it
@villageanne (8579)
This sounds wonderful. I cant wait to try it. I love Italian Meatball soup but this is a different recipe than mine. My daughter loves it too. I will send her this recipe also. Thanks for sharing.
@razcal2267 (15577)
You are welcome. I hope you both enjoy it :)
@Bunny2 (2102)
The recipe I have is different to this - and used homemade meatballs. I'll have to look for the recipe. I wrote about it on another thread here just last night...hadn't seen this! The one I make has onions, carrots, potatoes and celery, then shredded lettuce in beef consommé/broth and then the homemade meatballs. But I will try this one too!! Sounds yum!!
@razcal2267 (15577)
You recipe sounds good also. If you can find the amounts I would sure like to try and make it.
@cowgirl2701 (2081)
Sounds wonderful. Thanks for the recipe. I will try this soon.
@razcal2267 (15577)
You are welcome
@MakDomMom (1475)
Thank you for sharing this recipe. It sure looks like it would be a good one!!! Having something different to make once and awhile is sure nice.
@razcal2267 (15577)
I hope you enjoy it. You are right about needing a change every so often. I have been getting bored with some of the recipes I have
Seems to be very delicious. I cannot wait to test it. I will make it soon hopefully and find out its taste. Thanks for the info.
That sounds so good. Thank you for taking the time to post it. I'll give it a try this week.
lol thank you i will be sure to try this as, i need a repelant from giving my girlfriend a kiss thanks alot. does sound strange,
• Pakistan
thanku for sharing the recipe :)