Medic Alert

By Raz
@razcal2267 (15577)
For years I was seizure free with the help of medication so I saw no need to wear a medic alert tag. When I started to have seizures a few years ago my mother suggested that I sign up with the medic alert program and I did just that. How many of you are members and if you are not do you wear some sort of tag that can tell people what is the matter?
@missyd79 (3442)
My grandmother wears a bracelet to know medics that she is diabetic and she also carries a list of medications that she is on in her wallet, so they know about that too.
@razcal2267 (15577)
I used to have to carry the list of medications that I am allergic to with me at all times now my medic alert tag says what is the only medication I can take.
@cvarvell (1116)
Your mom was right in telling you to do this. I don't have a tag either. But there has been so many times where this would have been useful. I too have Epilepsy and never know when a seizure will occur.
@razcal2267 (15577)
That is why I listened to her and signed up. About 2 months later I was rather glad that I did as I had a seizer in the middle of New York's Port Authority and they were able to get a hold of my emergency contact person.
My mother wears a necklace that tells everyone that she's allergic to penicillen. I don't know if I'm allergic to it or not. I guess I'll find out if I ever get any. I have seen those commercials, I think they are a good idea for people who really need them. I should have had one when I was alone and fell. I crawled into the house myself. Sprained my ankle really bad. They said I probably laid outside for awhile because I can't remember much. They figured I blacked out.
@Molly322 (126)
I'm a member of MedicAlert. While I've never actually had to rely on the data inscribed on my bracelet in an emergency, it's nice to know that if I'm unable to communicate with an emergency response person that the crucial information will be available to them.