How do you clean your meat before cooking?

I use lemon juice and salt. The salt does not season the meat at all. Just in case someone is not thinking with a full deck. I was at a friends,and she removed a steak from the package straight to the pan. I never intend to eat from her in life.
@emeraldisle (13145)
Well I'm strange I don't clean my meat at all before cooking it. Now if I'm going to put a breading on it I might rinse it in water first or maybe dip it in milk but that's about it. Some meats we marinate but even then I don't bother with washing it. Now with chicken I buy deboned and skinless because I don't like the little feathers either, that and how I usually cook it I want the filets.
Your not strange at all. Your just doing your thing your way. I will always clean my food. people are very nasty and it's proven.
@sedel1027 (17854)
The only meat I clean is chicken which i just wash with water. We do season our meat and often will marinate it over night (depending on the meat). My Aunt is a Microbiologist and works in a food lab. According to her the only meat you have to "clean" is chicken.
I am so afraid of the unknown. Like it hit the floor and they just pack it. Oh I sure wish I could just wash chicken. When I wash my chicken it take hours. I scrape the entire chicken with a knife till the yellow is gone. Remove mostly all the fat. all hairs (Tiny)are removed. It's a chore. Thanks for the super info. I'll work on it.
@sedel1027 (17854)
Do you buy whole chickens or skin on chicken? My aunt says the safest chicken you can buy is the flash frozen kind. Since this gets processed on site and flash frozen, it is kept frozen and there is little room for bacteria to sneak in.
I buy it frozen in walmart. But the wings be full of hair and I just hate this. It makes me think it's dirty.
@babyhar (1335)
I tend to wash the meat I cook as well because I don't care for meat that is unwashed. I will usually run it under any type of water, nothing specific, but I do find that it makes a difference in the long run. I used to just go ahead and cook the meat without even rinsing it off and I find now that I do that I have had fewer times where I've had a reaction to what I've eaten. I used to find that when I ate a piece of unrinsed meat I would end up feeling terrible not too long after that. I didn't really have any idea that people used lemon juice and salt to clean meat. I had only heard in some markets they use lemon juice or vinegar as a meat tenderizer, not as a meat cleanser. I'm not entirely sure that lemon juice would really convince me that a slab of meat is clean and disinfected from certain microbes and all that. Furthermore, I think it might add a strange flavor to the meat. I think personally it could end up turning me off in the long run from eating it. There's a part of me that believes that once an animal is killed there are certain toxins released into the meat. I feel the only way to get rid of it is to thoroughly rinse the piece of meat prior to me cooking it. For example, even if hamburger is defrosted for some dish I'm making for supper, I'll put it in a strainer and run some water through it. It's the only way that I can be sure nothing weird is in the meat. I've heard horror stories of people where they end up getting deathly ill rom improperly handled meat. What would probably disgust me the most though would be finding a piece of meat like a steak or a pork chop that had been dropped on the floor and not rinsed off afterwards. If I got served something like that let's say at a restaurant I would send it back in a heartbeat and ask to speak with the head chef. Or I would tell my friend automatically if I was having dinner at there house. I know that like you if I had seen that your friend hadn't washed the meat.. And if I had a reaction to the unwashed meat that I'd tell them upfront that they may want to start washing there meat.. I know they may get mad at me but to me that's a health hazard.. I don't know if I could eat at my friend's house knowing that they aren't very clean when it comes to handling meat.. That would turn me right off.. I know that.. The damage to a restaurant that serves meat that is not cleaned can be catastrophic. It can mean pretty much the end of that restaurant if that gets found out by a health inspector. They have the power to shut down a restaurant while still being there inspecting the place. I think it is good we at least have in place a system that allows for regular inspections of licensed establishments that are supposed to adhere to a certain set of guidelines. These guidelines are meant to be stuck to so to ensure that food is being handled and prepared correctly. If they don't, they're slapped with a huge fine or even shut down. So, in conclusion, I believe that the way we clean our meat really shows how much we care about what we put in our bodies in the long run. It would be great if restaurants could think the same way but I guess that's why there are guidelines they have to follow and health inspectors. I know that I really make sure that my food is clean before I cook it.. And when I go to a friend's house as well I think they should at least care about the well-being of there friends or family members.. And should wash there meat or find some way of washing there meat.. Because even though a lot of bacteria is cooked off when you cook your meat.. There could be some microbes that we can't see that could pose a threat to our health.. I would much rather try to prevent this from occurring if you ask me! . . Thanks for allowing me to share! xx
Thanks for responding. I have to admit I did not read it all. I think is said very well for the parts I did read. Thanks
@cyfernet (2385)
cleaning the meat is necessary since u already know about the bird flu thing, we should treat the meat like vegetables and ensure that they are cleaned thoroughly
I wish others were this smart. They are killing their kids.
Sorry to say, but your freind's kitchen practices sound like ecoli waiting to happen. I usually rinse meat through cold water, rub with coarse salt and use apple cider vinegar to clean and marinate. The vinegar actually tenderizes the meat some and give a good flavor for grilled/roaster meat
i agree on that one. The part that makes it worse is her finger nails are longer than her hand itself.
@tocika (970)
I use also lemon juise and salt too.But I use also wein,to be frish and good.
That is good for flavor as well. I got a recipe from Rachel ray. You place your ingredients on the bottom of the pan them place the whole chicken on top. I used garlic,onions,thyme,tomatoes,carrots etc. Stuffed with an orange an it was awesome. try it some time.
@samson1967 (7422)
Cleaning the meat with butter milk will make them tender and juicy, and also it helps to remove the meat odour. As steaks are pre washed and spiced, it is cool to empty them straight to the pan.
I will surely try to find the butter milk. I have never saw seasoning on my steaks from walmart. I buy my meat and it hit the sink. Thanks for the help. I love any new ideas.
Thank you for allowing me to respond. - Thank you, friends are welcome. 

Don't forget to rate your best responses.
I usually just rinse my meat off prior to frying, roasting, crock potting, ect... I thought that was sufficient to get rid of the slimy meat feel and any bacteria on the surface of the meat. I tend not to be a germaphobe. I'm one of those people who believe in the 5 second rule and the blowing on it will send off any germs. *lol*
@angelicEmu (1311)
I must say that the idea of washing meat before cooking it seems very odd to me. It must be a cultural thing. In the UK, our meat has to be clean, for health and safety reasons, when they sell it (ie, it's gone straight from the butcher's slab into the packet, not been rolled around the floor - if it had dirt or hairs on it I would see the reason behind washing it, although if my meat had that kind of thing on it, I'd return it to the shop and demand my money back. Washing it first would get rid of the natural juices, which would spoil the flavour. Cooking it thoroughly kills off any germs (ie in chicken, where there's a health risk if you don't cook it properly), so I see no need for washing. As I say, if you get rid of the blood and other natural juices, that would take away from the flavour (the blood etc. doesn't go yucky, it just keeps it juicy). The only time I wash an animal product before cooking it, is when I cook with offal - that's to make it easier to prepare, and less messy, as it tends to come swimming in the stuff.
@mjalingo (169)
• Nigeria
In Nigeria we turn up things upside down,We cook meat without using lemon juice or salt, we just use water to clean and the salt when cooking not when cleaning, of cause it is believe that when you clean meat with lime you are removing all the protean. But, people are now know the health wise of cleaning meat with lemon and salt before cooking meat which I guess it help us to live longer if we eat healthy meat by cleaning it properly.
@wyykidd (1460)
I usually rub salt on the meat then wash it. If it's for soups, I'd use hot water to 'rinse' it at least twice, before putting the meat into the soup.
ya with water
@unisis (1674)
i was clean the meat with raw water and boiled into a pan till the meat is soft then poured the flavour
@chiyosan (30205)
no way we cook meat straight to the pan. we usually pour hot water to the meat first before wecook them, and this is after washing it on running water from faucet.
I wash it off real good with water. I must try the lemon juice and salt.