How many hours do your children spend in front of the TV

@wdiong (1817)
Singapore
Do your children spend hours and hours in front of the TV? What is the maximum number of hours you'll allow them to watch TV programmes and do you actually select the kind of programmes you allow them to watch?
@maehan (1445)
My parent had help me to educate my boys to watch only 1 1/2 hours of TV/computer per day. They are allowed to watch cartoons or children shows like Hi-5, dragon tales, clifford the big red dogs. If those shows that require parent guidiance, my dad will be there to explain the right and wrong to them. Now, that's my job to do so.
@wdiong (1817)
It's good that your parents helped to restrict your sons' TV watching time from young. How old are your sons now?
@mdilan (803)
My toddler spends more than recommended. Aparently they are onl supposed to watch 30 minutes maximum but my toddler watche smore than that. I have him watch selected videos more than general tv for kids. These videos are made for toddlers, and some are from Barney, Blues Cluesand the Wiggles. I wish he could watch less but he got sick around these days and had to stay home for a long time.
@wdiong (1817)
My son,21 months also watches more than 30 mins per day. His favourite programme is Barney :)
My daughter is a teenager and she basically watches the disney channel with really dumb shows on. She only watches a couple of hours. Spends most of her time on the computer chatting with friends. I have never told her what she could watch. She never watches anything she's not suppose to.
@wdiong (1817)
hmmm .....can visualise my daughter spending most of her time infront of the computer in a few more years time. That's not too good either....
• Thailand
I dont have a child, but if my 4 year old nephew who we considered as our own child counts he he spend quite a lot of time in front of our tv. he mostly watch cartoons, he loves that show, cartoon network and neckolodian. He would usually watch in the morning after he wokes up, and before he goes to bed. An average of 8 hours a day.
@wdiong (1817)
My, that's way too many hours for a young child isn't it? Doesn't he like doing other activities besides watching TV?
@lameran (1148)
I don't have children .. but my nepwew is arround 2 -3 hours a day ...
@wdiong (1817)
I think that sounds more reasonable.
My son does not have a lot of time to watch T.V as he has special therapy and specialist appointments as well as his time at preschool. I suppose on an average day he probobly spends three to four hours at the most and this would be T.V combined with computer time also. I would say that most days are less than this. I certainly do choose what he watches. Treehouse TV or Thomas videos mostly. On the computer he plays games on PBS Kids, Nick Jr., Thomas and Friends, Whinnie the Pooh, Dora or Nemo.