If you were dying,would you make a tape for your kids to remember you by?

I read an article today of a woman found out she was dying of cancer. She was afraid that her 5 year old son would not remember her, so she taped herself doing stuff with him, like making cookies, playing etc. Well a few weeks after she died, someone entered the home and stole all of the tapes. I'm not clear if they stole only the tapes of her or if it were a normal theft and they took several items and that happened to be one of them. That brought tears to my eyes that the tape was stolen away from the boy when the mother made the effort for her son before she died. If I found out I were dying, I'd want to make a tape too. So my kids would have a reminder of me, be able to remember what my voice sounded like, and know how much I loved them.
@Sissygrl (10999)
That is such a sad story.. i would do the same i think. make a tape of us together so that he/she would be able to enjoy the memories for a lifetime. I think i'd have to put them in a really safe place like a vault or maybe in a bank and then have him or her recieve the tapes and things i left for them at 14 or 16 so they could apprietiate them.
@design (848)
I write to them in a diary format, not all the time but enough for them to know me, my feelings toward things, my likes /dislikes etc. I also have a Dictaphone that i use sometimes that i put my thoughts in, also use this to interview (?) them on their thoughts etc as it will be interesting to have in years to come, either as a weapon or just plain embarrassment. lol
I never thought of writing in a diary to give to them later. That's an interesting idea. I've thought about writing them a letter to give to them as an adult but haven't done it yet.
@witmuch (184)
i would definately do this for my children! it lets them know that you cared and love them. i however would take the time to contact an attorney to do the recordings so that they can be taken care of properly and so that no one could destroy them. an attorney can help keep personal property put away until the proper timeing and aging of the child/children. it is also perfectly legal.
That's a good idea, that would definately make sure the tapes wouldn't get stolen.
@hasseyg (313)
I wouldnt want to make a tape because it would make them sad when they watch it.
I think the way I would look at it is, that they would already be sad anyway... and then they could have a video to treasure for the rest of their life to show their kids.
@Marie2473 (8523)
• Sweden
There is actually a movie about a woman like this as well. i think it is a great idea and it will definately have your kids remember u if you pass away when thet are young. I would probably keep them in the bank though, so that they donĀ“t get stolen.
I agree... Or I'd make several copies and hand them out to several family members in case any got stolen or messed up.
@merkava (1226)
That's funny because ever since I could afford a camera and a videocam I started taping parts of my life. It started back in 1st year high and I still continue that hobby today. The old formats I converted and burned them to dvd. I'm a journalist of my own life. I rarely check on them but when there are times that I feel discouraged I open em up and play the dvds. I can't believe how much I've changed and also how much I've remained the same. I also cry seeing the friends I miss and also for the people who passed away. I'm honored to be at least part of their life. So maybe when I die they might have a cabinet-full of memories about me from pictures, to video, to audio.
@KrisNY (7609)
What a super idea.. This would be great no matter how old your kids were when you got sick. Something for them to remember you by-- Something to show them how much you love them. I can honestly say it would be hard-- I think I'd cry alot but you'd have to compose yourself and just do it. It's hard to remember all the wonderful things about people who have meant so much to us and passed... what a great way to do this. Shame on the people who stole the movies-- those were invaluable!
Hi sounds great.... But .. there is a saying "out of the sight..out of the mind.." like this...in the younger generation and the coming generations,in this modern busy era, will they have time to think about "family relations" and such things ? I really wonder ! best wishes..
@sylviekitty (2084)
I'd probably make a tape, too. I'd also record my voice. I also have written letters to my children, telling them how much they are loved, and how much I appreciate them- how lucky I am to have them, and to be their mom. I also have written down a list of items that I want my husband to make sure that they have, after I die. Certain pieces of jewelry, or special things that belonged to their grandparents, etc. This is very important to me.
@mom2boys (334)
oh man yes i definately would. i would want my kids to remember me, and that would definately help.
@ms_fery (251)
if times comes for me to go the creator, i will make a tape not only for my kids but also to my sisters and brother and my parents and friends and give them the strength to move on and live the life in the way of god.
@sproutz (260)
I would. Why not? It is a nice way to guide them through life when you won't physicaly be able to.
Yes making tapes for the child is always good. We make videos all the time just to remember how much the children have changed in actions and everything. Again yes I would make a video.