All you ever wanted to know about doughnuts !

@patootie (3593)
Doughnuts ... love them or hate them .. they have a very interesting history .. The first known printed use of the word doughnut was in 1809 by Washington Irving Danish sea Captain Hanson Gregory is said to have 'invented' the hole in the middle when he speared one onto his ships wheel during a violent storm .. the idea soon became popular as the middle of doughnuts was difficult to cook properly You can judge the state of the economy (supposedly) by the size of the hole in the middle of doughnuts .. in bad times the central hole is said to be bigger In the 1934 film "It Happened One Night" heiress Claudette Colbert is taught how to 'dunk' her doughnut in coffee by Clark Gable During WW1 the Salvation Army made batches of doughnuts for the troops .. when the American troops returned home they clamoured for their favourite doughnuts (previously unknown in the US) and thus the popularity of doughnuts was started .. and the troops were even called 'Doughboys' because of their passion for doughnuts The Americans now make 10 billion doughnuts (or donuts US sp.) a year The Guinness World Record holder for eating 52 ounces of doughnuts ... that's about 26 average sized ones .. is John Haight who scoffed the lot in just over 6 minutes in 1981 The largest ever doughnut made was 1.7 TONS made in January 1993 in Ultrica, New York President John F Kennedy apparently told West Berliners "Ich bin ein Berliner" presumably little knowing that a 'Berliner' was the name of a jelly doughnut in Germany ... so he said "I am a jelly doughnut" In India ring 'Vadas' are ring shaped lentil doughnuts .. Japan makes curry filled doughnuts .. Lithuanian 'Spurgos' have cottage cheese fillings 'Munchkins' the popular American bite sized doughnuts are popularly said to be made from the cut out pieces of doughnut from regular doughnuts In one Halloween Special episode of the Simpsons .. Homer sells his soul to the devil for a doughnut And I've saved the 'best' until last ... in France you can buy a doughnut called 'pet de nonne' .. or 'Nun's Fart' ... a nun apparently farted in the Abbeys kitchen and the other nuns laughed so much she got flustered and dropped a spoonful of dough she was making into some boiling water .. accidentally making a doughnut
@wolfie34 (26881)
Doughnuts? I hate them, well I didn't up until I started making them. As a temporary stop gap job I went to work in a supermarket bakery and one of my duties was to make doughnuts, now that I have seen how they are made it has put me of them for life. I left about 10 years ago and I haven't touched a single doughnut since. Ewwwww the thought of one sends my stomach churning, revolting things.
@patootie (3593)
I don't like the smell of doughnuts cooking ... that really turns my stomach over ... but I do like eating the occasional one ... trouble is here in the UK they are not very popular .. not like in America where they have dedicated donut outlets .. and every possible topping you could ever imagine ..
@lilaclady (28270)
I love donuts, that is very interesting to know, now I will always think of nuns when I have one,.....thanks...
@patootie (3593)
Giggles ... even the thought sets me off laughing ...