Can anyone tell me how he French Quarter is recovering?

I visited New Orleans in May, 2005, and am wondering about the fate of this beautiful city. Can anyone tell me how the city is faring 18 months after the hurricane? I don't seem to see anything on the news these days about the city.
@Valenas (1510)
I went there sometime afterwards and Mardi Gras, although not as crowded as the previous years, was back. As far as what I saw, there is still a lot of damage, but things are greatly improved, and still improving. :)
I went in March 2006 and again in February 2007...the first year, the business owners had a wicked sense of humor (Chocolate City shirts?) and the second year it was right after Mardi Gras, so it was quieter but still a lot of fun. The first thing I remarked on outside the Mariott was how white the marble was (as compared to Philly's dinginess!), which of course got some laughs. I enjoyed myself and more is opening every day!
@tentwo67 (3385)
I had visited New Orleans in March 2005, and I remain grateful to have had the time there before Katrina hit. I live just a few hours away so I have visited many times in my life, but I haven't had the heart since Katrina hit. I have been in Biloxi several times since the storm and even this long after it is just heartbreaking there. I will probably wait at least a few months longer, if not longer than that, before I try to go to New Orleans again.
@wmg2006 (5386)
I have family in the New Orleans area and they say it is not coming back as quickly as they had hoped. The French Quarters did not receive much damage, but the city does not have near the population or tourist that it had before. the areas that were damaged a LOT look the same as they did. The government is moving very slow on bringing this city back and it may never happen.
@sedel1027 (17870)
The French Quarter recieved very little damage to it from the hurricane. I can tell you that is has taken a huge hit and many stores have been forced to close. We went down New Years weekend and the crowd was not as large as it normally is. I think what is saving us right now is all of the Saints games and the start of Mardi Gras season. If they can't get crime under control, I don't know if the city will survive another year.
@Canellita (12061)
The French Quarter really didn't suffer that much in Katrina on a physical level and was one of the first areas to be back up and running after the storm. In fact, in October of 2005, when the city was finally reopened to residents in areas that hadn't been under water the French Quarter had tourists walking up and down Bourbon Street drinks in hand, business as usual. That was a site to see after having spent 6 weeks in exile due to the flooding. Today some of the businesses are still struggling but not that many people buy antique books and handloomed rugs in tough times. Certain merchants were hit hard and others have been able to keep going despite minor setbacks. The residents and the culture are going strong and will be for centuries to come. Look for online webcams today so see scenes of Mardi Gras.