Unusual fruit and veg, the weird and the not so wonderful

@patootie (3593)
Our world is so 'small' these days that even 'weird' fruits or veg aren't really 'unusual' any more ... I really did struggle to find 'unusual' fruits or veg .. Stinging nettles .. once picked (best to wear some thick gloves) and cooked in boiling water .. this delicious 'vegetable' tastes very much like spinach .. and yes I have tried it too Dandelion ... excellent slightly peppery flavour and a good substitute for Rocket ... I always add them to my salads .. I pick just the young sweeter leaves from the middle of the plant Cuitlacoche (kweet-lah-KOH-chay) - Mexican Corn Truffle .. you would need to go to Mexico to get fresh Huitlacoche (alt. sp.).. but it can be bought in tins too .. it's a black fungus that grows on corn causing it to swell up to 10 times its size .. a rare delicacy .. supposedly Cardoons .. 18 to 22 inch long, pale green to white stalks ribbed like celery .. eaten either raw as an antipasto .. or cook for 20 minutes and eat as you would an artichoke Cherimoya .. a mouthwatering sweet .. creamy fruit organically grown in New Zealand .. combining the exotic flavours of pineapple, papaya, passionfruit, banana, mango and lemon into one luscious delight .. I'm sure I've seen this in a supermarket recently ... didn't know what it was .. but if I see it again I shall certainly be buying some ... Crawling Pitaya .. also known as eden or dragon fruit .. a variety of warm-climate cacti fruit .. luscious red fruits .. Jackfruit .. one of the largest fruits in the world .. can weigh up to 36kg .. vaguely like a pomegranate inside as there are around 500 seeds in a flesh like pulp .. ripe unopened fruits have a strong and unpleasant smell similar to rotting onions .. however when cut open the ripe fruit tastes and smells like a cross between a banana and pineapple
@wolfie34 (26881)
Spinach is probably the ONLY vegetable that I won't eat, so nettles would be off the menu, however I've always wondered what dandilion and burdock tastes like. My dad loves pomegranates, apparently the juice of a pomegranate is extremely good for you! I like the juice but not the the fruit itself. I hate fruit with pips, I'm lazy like that. I always give the dandelion leaves to our rabbit, no wonder she chuffs at the bit when she sees me coming in with dandelions!
@patootie (3593)
I cannot abide spinach on it's own as a vegetable ... but if you add it finally shredded to hearty soups or stews you will get all the goodness and none of the yuckiness of the texture I buy the frozen for convenience and just throw a little 'block' into my stews .. in fact I had some tonight funnily enough ...
@wolfie34 (26881)
So do you turn into Popeye with bulging muscles then after your tin, sorry bag of frozen spinach then ;0)