Writers Who Want To Be Published - Question!

@clownfish (3276)
Hi! For all you writers out there who want to be published some day, I have a question for you. Would you submit your work to a new publishing company, with the correct contracts, etc, or would you prefer to wait for a more established publishing company - bearing in mind that a larger house may not take on new writers. What is your opinion on this? Thanks in advance! :-)
@misskatonic (3727)
If I were to go with a newer company, I'd want to speak with people who've had success with them beforehand. I'd be nervous of getting in immediately, before the company has some stuff out. Just because it's so easy for publishing companies to go under. I've had luck with the larger companies, though.
@clownfish (3276)
Hi, Miss! That's what I need to know. If I decide to start up my own publishing company, it would be good to know that I might be met with some skepticism and not have many submissions. I do have ideas to make mine different and to try to find a niche. If you don't mind my asking, what genre(s) have you had published?
@clownfish (3276)
Thanks! As an editor, I would likely keep the mindset of being the "author's advocate." I learned a lot from the authors I worked with and I would like to carry that philosophy into a publishing company. :-)
@rainbow (6763)
I am unsure about this too but maybe you would get beeter publicity with an established company. You would have to look carefully at what they can offer you. I am thinking of self publishing but don't really know what to do yet. I had a look at lulu.com and it semms fairly straight forward but you don't have the option of an editor to help tidy up your work. Best of luck whatever you decide to do!
@clownfish (3276)
Hi! Thanks for your input. Yes, that's the main problem with self-publishing - you don't get the services of editors, proofreaders, and artists to do your cover art. The other problem is that self-publishing costs you, while publishing through a publisher doesn't. Some people who have self-published have been very successful, too. I hope you are successful whichever route you decide to go. I supposed I could just do freelance editing, but I've heard so many stories about people who do freelance work who never got paid, so that's not the most appealing option right now.
@clownfish (3276)
Anyone else have any responses?
@clownfish (3276)
Anyone? Any more responses?
Hi clown. I too would be a bit skeptical of submitting to a new publishing company with no history, but I would give it careful consideration. However if they have several "books under their belt" and I was able to contact the authors, I would definitly submit to the company. The larger publishing firms were all new at one point too. There has to be a start. I think I would feel kind of special as an author, to be one of the first to be published with a new company. Are you talking/thinking about starting an e-publishing or print pub house?
@clownfish (3276)
Hi! Actually, I want to do both - provide ebooks for those who like to download and print versions for those who like to hold a physical book in their hands. From the research I've done and what I've read on Mylot, there is a substantial number of people who would still like to have that physical paper book. And, with the niche I am hoping to create, printed books would be a necessity. I appreciate your feedback. I would be starting from pretty much ground zero, so this is the kind of information I need to know! :-)
That is good information for the writer(s) to know. More and more e-publishers are offering either POD or other print options to their writers. I know that for me personally, I prefer print books. I sit at the computer long enough, especially writing, that when I want to read, I want to hold the book and not be at the computer, lol. Do you have any ideas of the the genre(s) you are going to specialize in? I have always thought it would be very interesting to work in a publishing company, lol. I even have had thoughts of starting one, but I'd rather concentrate on the creative aspect of it. This is a great discussion by the way.
@clownfish (3276)
Thanks! I am thinking of specializing in children and family with special needs, along with the usual non-fiction, fiction/sweet romance, children, young adult, just anything that's not adult-oriented because of the image I want the site to have.