1991 Chevy Blazer S10 - Ignition switch actuator rod problem (not in Chilton)

Ignition had to be replace. Rod has rotated to vertical position (should be horizontal). I was told that this was common. I have removed steering wheel, lock plate, turn signal assembly, and ignition lock. Chilton's manual doesn't tell me how to go any further. I have a tilting steering wheel assembly still in place. I don't remove it. I tried removing the transmission shift arm in order to move the collar down out of the way, but it won't move. do I have to remove the tilt assembly? Is so, how? Is there a way to remove the rack and pinion, that connects to the rod, without removing the tilt assembly. Do you know how to get the transmission shift collar out of the way so that I can get at the back side of the tilt assemnbly where the rod connects. Note: I and someone more experienced have already tried rotating the rod back into position - it just won't go. Thanks for helping me.
No responses