Did you immediately have to return to work after your maternity leave...

and how did you feel? I had a c-section, so I was home for 8 weeks after the birth of my daughter. His mom agreed to watch my little girl every day, but I was never happy with this arrangement--I wanted to be home with my baby, even part time. What did you do?
@lynn3024 (198)
It is terrible that you got only 8 weeks. where I live we are entitled to a year off. paid. They have been thinking about making it two but I believe it should be lots longer
That's paid 60% of my salary and because my employer was too cheap to provide disability insurance, I had to file through the state (I think my first check came early). I believe that you can take at least three months off though unpaid.
@muralimn (535)
• United Arab Emirates
i am a mother of 1 baby boy. Earlier i thought of continuing with my work after the maternity leave is over. but after the baby was born i just could not imagine leaving my baby and be away from him for long hours. now i do not work and my baby is 1 yrs old. i am always with him. but, for this we both, my husband and myself, had to control our expenses, no savings for time being, little bit of debt, etc. but, we as parents can do anything for the baby. i do not want to put him with a baby sitter. i dont want my kid to grow up without i being there with him all the time for his support and growth. i strongly believe that either mom or dad must be there with the baby. they need thier parents. it is really difficult to survive with one person's income. but i hope all mothers can find a suitable way to earn income staying at home and enjoy being with their kids.
Thank you for not attacking me--I felt on the defensive when the last couple of people did the same (or misunderstood the question/discussion or misinterpreted it!). I am now (happily) divorced from the father and I'm working at night when my daughter is at her fathers, so I'm home with her all day. Unfortunately, it took 11 plus years to get here, but it's been worth it!
Unfortunatly I did not have the option of staying at home. After my first daughter was born, I was back to work in 6 days. When my second daughter was born I had to return to work 2 days after delivering her. I also worked up to the end of my pregnancy with the first I went into labor at work and with the second I made it through my shift and went into labor after getting home that day.
Oh, I feel for you! I was barely able to walk after my surgery--it took a long time to heal. I was working until my last appointment with the doctor...the nurse mentioned I could get a note (at this point, I was probably 45 lbs. overweight and on a 5'3" frame, it's not good! and extremely uncomfortable). I delivered less than 2 weeks later. I could not even imagine going into labor at work!
Of course you have to return to work after your maternity leave. You were given 2months for maternity leave and its expected that you were able to rest and took care of your baby. After maternity leave you must work in order for you to receive a salary so that you can buy your babies needs
In what world was I GIVEN 2 months maternity leave? In the US, you get six weeks if you're lucky...my boss actually upset me so much that I chose to go out earlier than scheduled (also because I was so uncomfortable). Two months is NOT enough time for anyone to recover from major surgery and that's what I had. And of course I had to return to work, seeing as my (now ex-) husband managed to be laid off (they were nice, he really should have been fired for missing so much work!) six months after our daughter was born.
My plan was to return to work after my maternity leave ended, that was 2 years ago and I am still at home with my daughter. Yes, I have made sacrifices! But, it's a price I am willing to pay. I make her Dad work overtime!
That's great...and I bet she's one happy little girl! I'm glad your husband is able to do that for both of you.
I was fortunate enough that the company where I worked have two months maternity benefit after giving birth. So after I gave birth I stayed at home for two months with pay. Although its two months, i think that time was still a short time to spend on the baby especially on that early stage of life. Honestly after that 2 months leave i still find myself having so many absences because i just dont like to leave the baby to the nanny.
have you considered telecommuting or work at home part of the time? if you're valuable enough to your employer, they may go for one of those options.
I went back to work to soon after my second daughter was born I did not think it would be a problem but I was wrong at the time I worked as a housekeeper for a hotel chain and lifting and moving mattresses about killed me I knew after that I was always going to take the advised time off.
how soon is soon? does your state have a temporary disability program, like NJ does (6 for a regular delivery, 8 for a c-section and if ordered by the doctor, you can get disability then too). did you find it difficult to return to work mentally, missing your girls?
@missyd79 (3442)
i had my son naturally but a month after he was born i had to go into the hospital to have my gallbladder removed so my maternity leave was extended to 8 weeks, and then i went back to work, my son stayed with his father during the day so i was okay with going back to work and for the most part i was happy to go back because i was living with my in laws at the time and my mother in law happened to home at the same time as me because she had surgery a couple days before my son was born, so i was so ready to get away from her.
that must have been hard to care for your son after your surgery. it's wonderful that you have a great support system (I guess dad worked at night?)
@XxAngelxX (2835)
We now get a years maternity leave here, however when I had my babies it was six months. I took the entire 6 months with my first, but only 4 months with my second. Then after I had my third, I became a stay at home mom as child care for three children was to expensive to be worth my while, plus I wanted to be home with my children.
I had a c-section and had to return to work when she was 7 weeks old. I hated being away from her and she was integral in my decision to quit work and return to grad school.
I was fortunate enough to be able to stay home with each of my three children for at least a year or longer after they were born. I felt like this was the time when they would be doing new things every that I would not want to miss. We just cut way back on things and fortunately it worked out. If not, I would have gone back sooner but would not have liked it. It is really hard sometimes to live on just one income especially now. Just try to enjoy all the moments you have with her when you are home and each one of those will be special to you and to her.
@clod0327 (817)
I also had a C-section and here in our country we are only entitles for a 75 days maternity leave so I immediatley go back to work rigth after my maternity leave. My mom takes care of the baby as she does not want to hire a nanny. Our set up is, my mom takes care of the baby while we're at work and we take care of the baby in the evenings and during weekends.
@raveena (1357)
The financial status of ours was not as it is now. Even I had a c-section but I had to go to work when my child was 4 months old. I was very lucky that my mom was there to take care of my child.
@MellieC (783)
Yup, I was back at work the moment I could sit for longer than an hour. Although I did have it much easier than normal being that I work at home. I did gradually ease into full time again. I was and still am determined to stay at home with my son as long as I can.
@wdiong (1818)
I had 2 months of maternity leave after the birth of my daughter. I did my confinement at my mum's place. I was glad for her help because being a first time mum i was new to alot of things.However as time went on, conflicts started to arise we had differing opinions about certain issues. After the 2 mths, I applied for 1 year child care leave and tendered my resignation after the period is up to look after my daughter full time.
After my 4th, I took about 6 months til I decieded to return to work.
@Signal20 (2282)
I was lucky with my last child(13 months old now). I had a great job, with great benefits. They paid short term disability(60% of pay)for 6 weeks, and I supplemented with some of my vacation time to make up the 100% pay. Then, when STD ran out, it was the beginning of the year, so my vacation bank got replenished, and it was basically the equivalent of 6 weeks vacation(worked 12 hour shifts, so it was a weird schedule). So, I ended up taking off the full 12 weeks-all paid. We were moving out of state anyway, so I didn't mind burning up the time lol. I then have stayed home with her since, now I'm getting ready to go back to work because we really need the money now. Like I said, I was lucky!!
@burieks (127)
i had normal spontaneous delivery when i gave birth to my baby. i was allowed 8 weeks also to stay home after giving birth and i went to work after my maternity leave. even if i still want to stay home, i need to work to help my husband with our expenses and for our babies needs. what i do now is go home early and put him to sleep and i don't go out on weekends to spend time with my baby.
I went back about 8 weeks for both boys. It killed me after my first. I cried for the first week before and after going back. We moved about 3 years ago and I decided not to look for work at the new place. So I have been home with them and loved every minute of it. But next year, my youngest will start full day kindergarten, so I know it's going to hurt sooooo bad. I'm not looking forward to it.
@BELMCstar (1343)
I am self-employed, so did not have a lot of choice in the matter. We did have someone who could help us out, but unfortunately that did not work out as we had hoped, and I had to go back to work when the child was 6 months old. I was happy with that arrangement, but also a little bit sad that I could not spend as much time with her at home as I had hoped for. Sometimes you can take the time off to be with the child, and at others it cannot be done. You need to do what is right for you.