About Passports for Canadians crossing the border and ship travel

@suspenseful (40326)
Has having a passport to cross into the border, or go into American waters changed any Canadians desire to go to the States? We're going on a cruise and the next year may visit relatives in the East and cross over the border a few times.
@Lindalinda (4116)
I think in today's world it is essential to have a valid passport regardless of where you go. It is sad that we now need it to cross into the US even for a day. I remember fondly when we could drive over to a border town for dinner or a museum visit. Those days are gone. You are treated with suspicion unless you show a good reason if you want to cross now. We can say thanks to all the terrorists for this and hope they are kept out everywhere.
@suspenseful (40326)
I used to live in British Columbia and we used to go to Bellingham all the time. In fact, my husband and I crossed into the States at various customs parts with no trouble, if the road happened to cross into the States and back again. Now I have to keep the passports in my purse all the time. And my passport photo, I am sure I am the exactly duplicate of Ma Barker.
America and Canada are 2 seperate countries and have different governments. Crossing the boarder means you are going into another country and there fore different laws. Being in Australia myself, it doesn't impact on me, but I do believe it is just like in Europe where they check everything is in order and say enjoy your stay!
@suspenseful (40326)
You see we have been good neighbors in that all we had to do was to show a drivers license or some form of id and get the "How Long do you plan to stay here and are you planning to bring anything back?" and now we have to wait for a while when we cross the border. And the laws are similar. After all if I robbed a bank in Canada I would get the same penalty as I would if i robbed a bank in the States. The only difference is that the police in the States are there faster whereas the police in Winnipeg only show up if the crime is serious enough.
In this day in age of living in fear, we have to cooperate and just say they are doing their bit to protect us. At least they care about what is going on. I would be more worried if they just let you through without checking, I mean, you have Hannibal Lecter sitting in your boot! lol.
When I had an accessories store in the 80s and 90s I used to go to NYC all the time, driving from Toronto and catching a plane from Buffalo to Newark. I would buy accessories from wholesalers in the garment district and go back same day, with only my Ontario driver's license and Canadian citizenship card. It was really easy, and with the Canadian government making it easier for Canadians to get a passport, it shouldn't be a problem, I think....
@suspenseful (40326)
We had to wait one month for our passport and I heard some had to wait three months. There was a long line up with people waiting for hours and we had to have important people to write that we were who we said we were and I do not know that many doctors and lawyers personally. If we had not had the same dentist for years, we might have been stuck.
Something new has been added...to the list of people who can sign as passport application guarantor. One of my clients (who bought a house through me a few years ago) called me on the weekend to ask if I could sign their passport application. I protested and told her that I am not a doctor, dentist, pharmacist, minister, lawyer, etc. She told me that the rules have been changed in that anybody who has had a valid Canadian passport for the past five years can be a guarantor. Needless to say, I was surprised. I will go to the official website and check it out for myself and let you know.
@writersedge (22579)
Right now, they're are about one thousand Canadians per weekend in Plattsburgh, NY. More or less, depends on the weather. The worth of the Canadian dollar is equal and more than the American dollar. How much does it cost for a passport up there? It's over one hundred dollars down here plus the picture and a really long wait. That's why people are fighting it down here. Take care
@suspenseful (40326)
Our costs about $80 dollars each. And I would love to buy things from the States, but I do not have enough money. I only have $200 in my US bank account (sob!!!) and I do not want to charge anything. I want to order the last Pretender season from Amazon because it has a different cover from the Canadian version and who knows what else they have done with it, maybe gave it a Canadian content ending.
@writersedge (22579)
The last I looked, Canadiam money was worth $1.07 US. My bank said to change it at a money exchange place or see what Kmart would do for me. My husband works for a Canadian firm and he comes home with Canadian money from the machines every now and then. We have some Canadian firms in Plattsburgh. Anyway, I have to use my Canadian money somewhere while it's still worth so much. Didn't use it when it was 67 cents to our dollar, just saved it for times like this. Take care