what do you think...the owner of a ritzy NY shop sues homeless

MANHATTEN ANTIQUE SHOPS OWNER lawsuit against transiets who camp in front of his store is generating debate about what to do with Ny homeless , who spend many cold winters night on the street.
@shywolf (4529)
He is really suing people who are already homeless? Is he crazy? LOL. How much money can they have? None! So what is he going to sue them for? What does he expect to get from suing them? It seems so sad. Surely he should just get some kind of an injunction to keep them away from hanging around outside his store, if he is going to be so uppity about it.
@linda345 (2661)
I agree. What can you get from a homeless person? You don't see them on the streets alot in the city I am in but if I go to Toronto you see the homeless alot more. I haven't seen them right outside the door. They are usually inbetween business with a jar or a hat looking for money. They don't seem to be bothering anyone or maybe I am naive.
Why dosent he take up donations to help them find a place to go.? He could get others to donate and have a public auction. He must know other business owners who would help.What are the alternatives?
@feeding11 (222)
No compassion. But if you think about this, what kind of attorney has this owner retained? Not just one here to blame, but attorney has to know something none of us have thought of. Wonder if this owner is trying to get out of a lease and has no grounds other than making an issue out of something else, and that being the homeless. He may be the owner of the store, but does someone else own the building. Is he really after his landlord? I'm sure he's not stupid enough to think that he could get anything out of homeless.
You know how many of these attorneys are. They just want to make the dollar. It is a shame that any lawyer would take the case to begin with. Some of these poor people die in the streets hungry and cold. They dont have medical care and many are ill.
@citygirl (1083)
I guess he is looking to get publisity out of this. Obviously he won't get any money for the homelss. If he was after money he would have sued the city, so I assume it is the publisity and attention brought to the problem, don't you think.
couldnt they have a fundraiser? There was statement about they are trying to figure out what to do about the homeless? Cant they help direct them to shelters? Take up donations, other things like that?
Well, he can't sue people for something they haven't got, but if the the transiests get a jail sentence, at least they will have a bed and some food instead of having to sleep rough in the cold. I have heard that some people like to be caught stealing so that they can sleep in a cell for the night. It is sad that there is not enought being done to help these poor unfortunates.
I just cant see the waste of money even trying to take it to court. It seems like he could have looked for an alternative. They are human beings.
Pretty damn rotten. If it was during the day it would be OK to ask them to move along but to sue for them being there at night when the store is closed - ridiculous. He has to be doing it for publicity, which could very easily back fire on him and he will lose customers. It cant be for money as the homeless don't have any. Another example of America going "sue" mad.
What point in the suit? I dont see how you can take this to court. These people have nothing.What will they do, put them in jail, because they have no money for legal representaion. I do not see how some people sleep at night. I really dont.
@misskatonic (3730)
The man is *suing* *homeless* people?!?! What kind of heartless @$$ does something like that? These people have nothing. Just tell them to move along, point them in the direction of a shelter... don't sue them! I always think I've seen the worst of petty humanity, but I'm always proved wrong.
I think the only upside of it, is that it may draw the attention needed to get them real help. They are probably hungry and cold. It is winter. I do not see how someone can be so heartless. It is no wonder we cant get people to care about animals when we cant get them to care about the people first. I agree with your post.
@villageanne (8579)
Maybe he should take the time to help them. They need help not a lawsuit brought against them. He would get much better publicity by helping them also. In fact free publicity. He must not have a heart. I would not shop there out of pure spite
OMG, that was my first thought too! I imagine he is worried about their presence having a negative effect and wants them moved. However, for myself, it would make me NEVER shop at his place!