I'm too old for this.....

@rekkusu (603)
I recently started learning programming, having never programmed before in my life I was wondering if anyone thinks there is a age limit to when people would be able to learn programming, Or even if you think there is an age where it would be best to start.
@aiguy01 (589)
The earlier the better, but it's never to late to learn. If you hope to make a living at it and you're over 40 then you're definately at a disadvantage getting a job. The long hours, stress and perception that it's a young person's game will all work against you and you'll be competing against people with 20 years experience under their belts. Java and .Net seem to be most in demand right now. Also take courses in relational databases and web design. A community college is a good place to start out to see if you are going to like it. It doesn't cost too much and they won't make you take a lot of BS courses first.
My philosophy is that you are never to old to learn "anything". The one positive lesson my father taught me was that you should never stop learning. The day you stop learning you begin to die. I think it is difficult for the older generations to learn, we don't learn as fast as we used to. But, I think that our brains have the capacity and need to be kept active. There are recent studies on older generations, that show that when they are learning new tasks or information, it helps their brain cells resist deterioration, especially in the context of Alzheimers. I think that if programming is something you are interested in and a goal that you want to attain for yourself, then you should go for it. Let no one tell you that you are too old. Keep learning and exploring.