Coffee versus Diet Soda...Argument

Cup of Coffee - My choice
I drink coffee with Stevia ( zero calories Herbal sweetner) and cream. My friends drinks diet Mountain Dew soda. We have an ongoing argument as to which is worse for your health. Please help us decide who wins.
@mari61960 (4895)
I say YOU win. Here are some facts. Diet Mountain Dew, Ingredients: Contains: Carbonated water, concentrated orange juice, citric acid, natural flavors, citrus pectin, potassium benzoate (preserves freshness), aspartame, potassium citrate, caffeine, sodium citrate, acesulfame potassium, sucralose, gum arabic, sodium benzoate (preserves freshness), calcium disodium edta (to protect flavor), brominated vegetable oil, yellow 5. Your coffee, Ingredients: Coffee, Water, cream, herbal sweetener. I would say that in my opinion the coffee is a much better choice. Researchers from the University of Scranton released on August 29, 2005 that coffee is the No. 1 source of antioxidants in the American diet. I think the only benefit from Diet Mountain Dew provides is hydration.
Thank you for that great response definitely (+)
@wmg2006 (5383)
I am not a coffee drinker at all, only a diet coke drinker. In this case though depending on what the Mountain Dew is sweetened with. Aspartame has a very bad rep right now, just like saccharine did years ago. I have heard nothing but positive reviews on coffee and the coffee beans. Stevia is being tested now in the US. I know Splenda is great if the Mountain dew is sweetened with that. so for this discussion your coffee is probably healthier, but the Mountain Dew would taste better to me. LOL
BTW. Sweeteners such as sweet & low, equal etc. have been on the market for 15 years and they are not good for you because of the chemical contents. Splenda was only tested for 15 months before the market was bombarded with it uses and is still undergoing testing. Stevia is a pure natural herbal supplement and can only be purchased in Natures Pantry and other herbal supplement stores.
They are both bad, if you have a lot of it. Anything in moderation will be okay. But, if I must pick, I will go with the coffee with stevia is better.
@eaforeman6 (8983)
wouldnt the coffee be safer then the soda? If they are saying there are so many chemicals in diet drinks? I dont think that the coffee would be worse since you are using an herbal sweetner?
@tombiz (2039)
I think the only good in there is Stevia because it is all natural and herbal sweetener. I could not say the same thing for the soda and coffee except that for some people (a select group of people) coffee could be of great value as source of antioxidant. But coffee could be bad for those people whose metabolism is not fit for cafeeine digestion. Soda is definitely bad and it is hard to defend its merits if there are merits in soda drinking.
@djmarion (4901)
if i were your friend, i would not drink diet sodas, its not as good as what they think.
@Lakota12 (42684)
Diet soda any of them is worse my kids cant drink any diet sodas thy double over with pain. I drink my coffee Black nothing in it but I vote for diet soda been worse for your health
@sunshinecup (7881)
Honestly I think both are just as bad as the other one. Soda and coffee are terrible for your stomach and are not good for you body at all. Then there is the caffiene as well.
@gabs8513 (48715)
Well I would say the Mountain Gew Soda I guess but I am not to sure then again if you are using Herbal Sweetner you must be the Healthier one lol
@sedel1027 (17854)
I don't know much about the herbal sweetener. I would say which ever has not been tested long term is worse fo ryou. They have the same amount of caffine and water. The key is the sweetener. Ideally, if neither of you are diabetic you are better off drinking things with sugar in them and not caffinated.