Does lightning strike mobile phones? a girl killed

A university student is killed, when sharing an umbrella with two other friends during a thunderstorm when her mobile phone rang. She answered the phone and a bolt of lightning struck her, the umbrella and the phone.
@kgwat70 (13396)
I did not hear about this but that was very sad and tragic to hear. I think it struck the umbrella but I think it would be possible to strike someone on a cell phone if they are outside. If a person is on a cell phone and indoors then I think they would be much safer. She was outside on her phone under an umbrella during the storm so that was dangerous in itself.
@crazynurse (7489)
Oh great. One more thing for me to worry about with my four children! Surely it was the umbrella that the lightning hit first? Either way, I am going to warn my children about being out in a storm.
@linda345 (2661)
I don't think the mobile phone killed her. I think the lighting probably struck the umbrella and then her. Maybe she was holding the umbrella. I have not read the story so I can't judge exactly what happened. But I do work with mobile phones and it seems unlikely but stranger things have happened.
Seems like it does if this topic is true.
@lifeiseasy (2292)
Lighting struck her as she was the tallest object out there. Lighting can strike a cell but it is much less likely. Using corless phones ans cell phones in doors during lighting storms is safe.If I could copy & paste I would give you the url for the whole story. aol search ...www.snopes.com will confirm this
@villageanne (8554)
Wow! that is scary. I will think twice before using my cell phone in a storm.
@polachicago (19075)
I think it is umbrella, not mobile phone. I heard so many stories about an umbrella and lightening.