Moving to Florida

Hi everyone! We are moving to Florida from Texas as asoon as school is over. I am really excited! Does anyone have suggestions on a nice smallish sort of town with good schools? we want to live closer to the Tampa area (at least within 50 miles) since my husband will be traveling in that area quite a bit. My hubby is already there in Clearwater, but we won't stay there. Any suggestions would be great appreciate. :)
@emeraldisle (13158)
I live just north of Clearwater. There are some nice towns and areas within a close radius. A lot depends on what type of community you are looking for, what distance you want him to drive, and whether you are looking for apartment or houses. I will admit usually up in Pasco County things are cheaper then in Pinellas (Clearwater)or Hillsboro (Tampa). Places like Holiday, New Port Richey, Elfers, Port Richey can be very nice. They aren't that far from Clearwater (anywhere from 15 to 30 miles). If you want more country area you should try Odessa area. It's a bit further but it is more country based. A suggestion if you are looking for a house find one East of US 19. The insurance is cheaper. I wish you luck in the move. I know it must be both exciting and scary at the same time.
WOW! what great suggestions! Yes, we want a smaller town and would like something more countryish, but it is not necessary. The smaller town is necessary, but not the country part. I will start looking in the areas you have said. we really want a house and not apartment. I hate apartments with children. I want my kids to have a yard...we have lived in an apartment since they were born and it's time for them to have their own space. We don't have to have a huge house and will probably rent at first since we are just moving and don't really want to commit to a buy the first thing we see. thank you so so much1
@emeraldisle (13158)
Make sure when you do go to buy a house that you check around. Some try to sell houses at prices that would go for up in New York and they arne't worth it. So be willing to check out several and also check out the taxes. The tax appraisal usually runs about 10 to 20 percent below what would be a decent price for the house. Do not go by what they say they pay for taxes, this number will change when you buy the house because they can assess it now which before they could only raise it at 3% per year. You also have to apply for homestead exception (it's 25,000 off your value for property tax which keep taxes down) within the first year.
@classy56 (2884)
i use to live in fort myers an i loved it there an its not to far from tampa they got nice shopping malls an schools,than we moved to fort myers beach.an that was to busy of a place for me..but it had nice schools an all kinds of shops an it not to far from tampa.moveing far away is always exciteing,new adventure..you will love florida no matter what city you move too.i wish you luck finding a new home..
thank you so so much! i am going to tell my hubby about ft myers when i talk to him tonight so maybe he can check it out. i am really excited about moving there! i am from texas...lived in maryland for a while and then in quebec canada for a while and back to texas. florida will be a wonderful change of pace, i hope. :)